how does a starter work sbc

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzz

Livin' the rat roddin' lifestyle
I guess I know how a starter is supposed to work but ...I installed a mini starter and cranked the motor, did not start the motor just testing the starter. The gear on the starter didn't retract. I thought something is wrong. I put a stock starter on and get the same thing. Is this normal, does the engine starting cause the starter gear to retract? I never noticed this before. Do I have a problem or am I just getting old and forgot stuff?

Attachments

• starter 001 (Small).jpg
    starter 001 (Small).jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 19
  • starter 002 (Small).jpg
    starter 002 (Small).jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 17
  • starter 003 (Small).jpg
    starter 003 (Small).jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 17
  • starter 004 (Small).jpg
    starter 004 (Small).jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 19
dont know but when the engine cranks it will spit the gear back out .. if your battery is kinda week it may not kick back in either [S no hard feelings but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that has this luck :D

Normally the plunger in the solenoid is what engages and disengages the teeth.As the motor starts it will thrust it back too.

Attachments

• starterworking.gif
    starterworking.gif
    17.7 KB · Views: 18
If the motor didn't start there may be tension on the gear that is more than the return spring can pull it back.

Thanks guys. You confirmed my hopes. Guess I'll leave it like it is till I can start the engine and see if it kicks the start gear back in.

i have tried the paper clip trick but there is a easier way. some starters have a 1/8" rod about 2 1/2" to 3" long in the box with them. the rod is to check the fit between the teeth on the flex pl.ate and the shaft of the starter with the bendix disengaged. i should be a snug slip fit. from the pics it looks like you need shims, and yes it should disengage on it's own.

Did you try either starter on the bench? Give them each a quick bench test with some booster cables and you should get your answer real quick.

Latest posts

Back