New Project...seeking info.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazarat

So I barely get the Ventura out of the yard when my buddy from Fort Laud trailers and drops this into my lap. He was losing storage, wants me to get it rolling and sell.

65 Econo pick up, 5 window "Spring Special" with the side chrome...only 2000 produced. kinda on the ratty side but a lot of good stuff including a low miles 302 340HP crate and brand new vintage air AC.....but!

It sat for several years, He got it started, now it is overheating, says there is sludge in the radiator. Sure enough, there is this oily goo sitting on top of the coolant. Smells like tar/ rubber

I get it started and watch, all flowing in radiator, but when I rev easy I notice lower radiator hose acting like a lung.

***No water in oil, oil fresh and clean, no smoke...and just in case...no water in auto trans, fluid nice and red. (new Champion radiator)

So can any Ford guys tell me whats going on here? saw on one forum something about an internal oil galley/intake manifold. I dropped the lower hose, very soft, no spring inside, possibly squeezing shut causing over heating....but black sludge..did the bad hose cause this? ...any one?...Buehler? Buehler...?

Attachments

• IMG_0568.JPG
    IMG_0568.JPG
    204.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0567.JPG
    IMG_0567.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 40
Most likely that lower hose is causing crap to leech into the coolant. It;s collapsing because it is very old and pliable. I would drain the coolant, replace all the hoses, fill with water and run it some to see if you get any more oil in it. You may see some stuff floating around from the original issue and need to flush it out a time or two.
Those things are pretty cool. Not quite my cup of tea, but cool non-the-less.

Most likely that lower hose is causing crap to leech into the coolant. It;s collapsing because it is very old and pliable. I would drain the coolant, replace all the hoses, fill with water and run it some to see if you get any more oil in it. You may see some stuff floating around from the original issue and need to flush it out a time or two.
Those things are pretty cool. Not quite my cup of tea, but cool non-the-less.

Thats the plan and what I am thinking. Ditto on the cup of tea thing.

There's a butt for every seat! Looks like a pretty solid truck, hope you get it figured out

While you're replacing the coolant and hoses, go to your auto parts store and get a bottle of radiator flush. The stuff I've used you have to put it in, fill it the rest of the way with water, get the engine warm, then you drain it out and flush it again and get it warm with just water, then flush that out and then fill it with coolant. It has worked great for me, and gets all kinds of hidden corrosion and sludge out of the system.

Last edited:
I would not be ashamed to be seen driving it. Slammed, of course. Maybe move the engine back a "couple" feet. I have my eye out for a little van for a second car. Troublesome getting in and out of normal modern cars these days.

Love those trucks! If you let an engine sit for a long time, the anti-freeze will turn to gook and is hell getting all of it out! I usually replace the freeze plus & that gives you better access to really clean it out, but that's just me!

Toad

I would not be ashamed to be seen driving it. Slammed, of course. Maybe move the engine back a "couple" feet. I have my eye out for a little van for a second car. Troublesome getting in and out of normal modern cars these days.

I agree I was never into that body style van or truck until I started doing the one that were building. They've grown on me a lot

those sell for big bucks around me.

Same here! They are not easy to find & they ain't cheap around these parts! I had the van version but always wanted of the trucks! Lucky you... congrats! Please keep us in the loop!!!

Love those trucks! If you let an engine sit for a long time, the anti-freeze will turn to gook and is hell getting all of it out! I usually replace the freeze plus & that gives you better access to really clean it out, but that's just me!

While I was freshening my Nailhead up I replaced the leaking freeze plugs & the crud in the block was unbelievable. An old engine building friend also told me that junk was from antifreeze sitting in the block too long while not being run! I flushed it out with my lil water pressure washer!

BoB

Yes gang, going to flush a couple times until I see no gunk, pretty sure it was the hose, starting this project today. I dont think it was run enough since he restarted from slumber to cause significant problems. Have to check thermostat.

The owner has the body panels for the rear as well as bumpers, and yes they are bringing big bucks in these parts also. Owner has no time to mess with it.

I have to hook up controls for AC, (he wants to use original heater knobs), then it needs leak test and charge.

The truck has Fiero seats, and interior and detail are well done. Also has front disc on original Econo straight axle.

It has a 9" rear, supposed to be posi, ratio unknown, going to check that also.

Its a bit awkward to work on these things, especially with a V8 riding shotgun instead of a 6cyl, tight fit.

I will upload a couple more pics later today.

Last edited:
At the Puyallup (Seattle) Goodguys show in 2015, there was one there done gasser style with a big block Chevy. It was super cool, still a project, and the guy was asking $5,500 USD. Good deal but just not something I needed. I have a better shot of it somewhere but of course I can't find it, but you can see it in the background of this shot beside the red building.

That was the first one I saw that I really liked.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20150724_122508.jpg
    IMG_20150724_122508.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 47
A couple more pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0599.JPG
    IMG_0599.JPG
    177 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0597.JPG
    IMG_0597.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0600.JPG
    IMG_0600.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0601.JPG
    IMG_0601.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 26
Is this center steer?

Probably not, but at first glance, it does look like it. The seats don't look all that comfortable either. :D
The background looks like a Post Office in down town Vancouver, WA. But again, probably not.
Cool truck, though.

Latest posts

Back