universal wiring harness?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

da_bull

Who has/sells a decent wiring harness that has tech support. I've done 12 volt stuff for 20+ years, but not wired a complete car. I dont feel it'll be an issue, but I am looking to purchase a decent kit for my model A sedan rat rod. VERY bare bones car (lights, coil, radio, electric fan, fuel pump, horn, gauges, and air compressor for bags [probably gonna have to do that seperate, and that's ok])

Who has/sells a decent wiring harness that has tech support. I've done 12 volt stuff for 20+ years, but not wired a complete car. I dont feel it'll be an issue, but I am looking to purchase a decent kit for my model A sedan rat rod. VERY bare bones car (lights, coil, radio, electric fan, fuel pump, horn, gauges, and air compressor for bags [probably gonna have to do that seperate, and that's ok])

Any of the big names have great instructions and are very straightforward. I used Painless. I'm undecided on whether to use Painless or American Autowire on my roadster. Ron Francis has some neat stuff too.

Summit are cheaper, but I'd rather go with a name personally.

They give you the full instructions on all the possibilities you might encounter, and for my first time doing any significant car wiring made it very easy to wire the whole vehicle from scratch. over 30,000 km's later, it's still great. I highly recommend spending the money.

There were a few things I added, though. I added relays for my headlights and electric fan, and a junction block in the engine bay to feed them.

I also suggest a book like this if you are doing it for the first time. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sad-sa160

I used a Speedway Motors 27 circuit in mine. I wanted extra circuits for expansion later on, AC, amp, maybe electric trunk popper. It came with a decent diagram, all wires are marked every few inches.

I’ve heard good reports on the Rebel Wire harness, but never used one myself.

I used a Speedway 20-circuit kit (910-64027) in my 39. It was way more than I needed for my project, but maybe the next owner will want to ad a bunch of accessories. This one is set up for a modern GM column with a key and lock. By the time I was done installing it I had a very good understanding of car wiring.The diagrams are color matched to the wires. Sorta... A good wiring kit is worth the investment.

My next one will not have a bunch of extra circuits in it. Hiding all those extra wires is a bigger pain than stringing out the ones I used.

Good luck!

I`ve used Ron Francis. That was a bunch of moon ago, so not sure what`s out there these days.
I loved the quality and support was great too.

I've used EZ Wire and Rebel
Both are really good and priced fine. The EZ Wire harness comes with a few more things like new head light plugs etc.
I've been installing an EZ in the chopped channeled and narrowed 53 yesterday and today.
Rebel has easier to see larger printing on the wires to tell you where they go.

I prefer Rebel Wire kits... used one in my last 3 builds! Used the 9+3 in my current build! They use good wire that's marked with much bigger lettering... I've used others in the past but had to use a magnifying glass to read the wires & they have good instructions. Bob is the owner & a very kool guy & Jeremy is the tech who is nearly always available & he's saved my bacon many times... best wiring tech guy IMO! Can't say enough good things about them, great prices & they give UDS members a 10% discount if you ask! No... I don't get a kickback from them!

Rebel Wire Web Site

BoB

I used a Speedway 20-circuit kit (910-64027) in my 39. It was way more than I needed for my project, but maybe the next owner will want to ad a bunch of accessories. This one is set up for a modern GM column with a key and lock. By the time I was done installing it I had a very good understanding of car wiring.The diagrams are color matched to the wires. Sorta... A good wiring kit is worth the investment.

My next one will not have a bunch of extra circuits in it. Hiding all those extra wires is a bigger pain than stringing out the ones I used.

Good luck!

I had that same experience with the extra wires. In fact, I think I'm going to go through and remove most of the extra wires that are hiding under the dash.

I had that same experience with the extra wires. In fact, I think I'm going to go through and remove most of the extra wires that are hiding under the dash.
I know I should. I just have been reluctant to do it. Likely some deep seated psychological issue. :D

I've always just wired cars myself.

After installing a kit with full instructions, I think I could do it from scratch. I think... :D [S

For me I like the fully printed wires and the ease of it. Now that I've wired one with the kit, I really have less desire that before to do it from scratch. Really the time and aggravation saved by getting a kit is worth the few hundred dollars the harness costs to me.

For me I like the fully printed wires and the ease of it. Now that I've wired one with the kit, I really have less desire that before to do it from scratch. Really the time and aggravation saved by getting a kit is worth the few hundred dollars the harness costs to me.

Same here! By the time I get to that part I'm worn out & don't need any more frustration! :eek:

Toad

I've only wired cars 'one wire at a time', but I have a kit on the shelf for my '34 Plymouth. I'm not against using a kit, and Snopro, if you counted up the cost of all the wire, ends, fuse boxes and circuit breakers, for the 'one wire at a time' guy, it might be cheaper to just buy a kit. So, cheaper, easier, and safer, what's not to like.

I have used a variety of kits in the past - EZ, Rebel, American Autowire, Painless....and have had great success with all of them. I've kinda settled on AA though with the last couple. They seem to have a good selection of options, are reasonable and simple. I can't really speak for customer service as I've never had to make a call.

The reward of doing one wire at a time is to be considered.
What I like about the harnesses is the lettering on them to where they go then, if there's a problem later you don't have to trace a wire all the way back to the fuse block.
I got the brilliant idea to buy a harness with all black labeled wires, man what a mistake. With the multi colored wires it cuts the diagnostics time down considerably.
The first thing I do is, pull all the wires out of the harness that will not be used. Not only does it clean up things but, it also makes it simpler.

I've only wired cars 'one wire at a time', but I have a kit on the shelf for my '34 Plymouth. I'm not against using a kit, and Snopro, if you counted up the cost of all the wire, ends, fuse boxes and circuit breakers, for the 'one wire at a time' guy, it might be cheaper to just buy a kit. So, cheaper, easier, and safer, what's not to like.

Oh absolutely. Some of the kits now have cool features, too. The Painless harness I'm planning to get for my Roadster is modular. So if you want to add more circuits in the future, you slide 4 more circuits on to the fuse box and wire them in. Voila.

I've worked with Rebel, American Autowire, Ron Francis and YnZ kits.
YnZ was awesome for a high-end restoration of my 58 Buick.
Rebel 9+3 worked great in a simple '32 Ford truck hot rod.
AA & Ron Francis were on a couple of other cars I did for a friend of mine.
I prefer the AA & Ron Francis kits for the documentation and how many options they offer, but i thought Rebel was the best bang for your buck if you already have a lot of the switches and other components.

Latest posts

Back