Hirohata Mercury.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torchie

I know this is the hot rod talk section but I'm posting this here anyways.......
Perhaps the most famous custom car of all times sold today at auction for 1,950,00.00:D:cool::eek:
As a hard core custom car guy I happy to see it go for so much.
I only hope it doesn't get stashed away for another 40 years like it did the first time.
Torchie

Attachments

• 03-21_Hirohata-Merc_Casey-Maxon_HVA_1.jpg
    03-21_Hirohata-Merc_Casey-Maxon_HVA_1.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 21
I watched it to unbelievable. 👍👍

There was lots of "arm Chair" quarterbacking going on in regards to what the final price would be.
Over on the Hamb they had a contest going. LOL
Most(including me) thought it would not break the million mark. Or even reach the reserve and sell.

Wow....dats alot of loot!

Yep.:eek:
Since I would never be in a position to even bid on this I'm glad to see it get the respect due. :cool: :cool:
Torchie

That thing got a Hemi...?

After Bob Hirohata had the car built he pulled the flathead and put in a Brand 331 Cadillac crate motor.
Then he drove it cross country from California to Indianapolis for a big car show.
The Cadillac engine is the one it has today.
Torchie

I watched it cross the block as well, and was thinking of you Torchie the whole time!

Thanks Bill. 😀
I had no way of watching it but it didn’t take long for the sale price to hit the internet.
If you figure in all the premiums the buyer had to pay it puts the price at over 2 million.😳
Like others I have had a long term fascination with this car.
Just the fact that it was hidden away for so long but remained intact.
Not to mention the fact that there no doubt about this cars history.
And then add Von Dutch’s pinstripe on the dash and you have a “one of one” kind of car.
Perhaps someday I’ll see it in person.
Torchie

I agree with most of that ZZ.
It’s the most recognizable one to many people. To custom fans it holds a special place for sure.
I wouldn’t kick it out if the shop for dripping oil.😎
Torchie

I didn't figure it would sell this time, either. Last go round it didn't even meet the reserve.

I didn't get in on the guessing on the PORK. I didn't have a clue how deep the pockets that showed up might be...

Latest posts

Back