Pinch me. Gas at $2.99 !!!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

What the heck is causing this deep drop in gas prices ? I use premium and even that is at $ 3.45 a gallon ! [cl

I know it will not last forever, but sure is nice now.

Don

What the heck is causing this deep drop in gas prices ? I use premium and even that is at $ 3.45 a gallon ! [cl

I know it will not last forever, but sure is nice now.

Don

Friend of mine suggests it is election time and incumbents claiming this as their doing? As soon as that is over it will climb again. Regular is $2.85 here and paid $3.11 for Premium today.

The U S has ramped up production of crude and now there's a glut so prices are dropping to around $$0 a barrel and OPEC will force the prices lower to compensate...good for us guys as end users but not good for the overall economy.

My uncle who is a higher up for an oil company said it is T Boone Pickens/Ross Perot that is causing this. Theyre making 8 tanker train cars a day and shipping them to the Dakotas then back to Texas for refining. They won't let him export so he is saturating the market in the USA. It also hurts the russian economy which is built around a $100+ barrel of oil. Might be political, might be a rich dude mad at the gov... Either way fill up and enjoy, can't last forever.

What is funny is that, when I got out of HS in 63 gas was about $ .25 a gallon. We had a gas war and it got down to $ .20 a gallon. People were coming in with 55 gallon drums and filling it up to save a nickle a gallon ! :D:D

Don

What is funny is that, when I got out of HS in 63 gas was about $ .25 a gallon. We had a gas war and it got down to $ .20 a gallon. People were coming in with 55 gallon drums and filling it up to save a nickle a gallon ! :D:D

Don

Are you sure it wasn't even lower? I'm about 11 years behind you (born 1955, graduated '74), and I remember a 21.9 cents a gal gas war (but it WAS when I was a kid, not when I was in HS, so I guess it would be the same time period you're talking about). Maybe it was also because of the area of the country we were each in. That was in Oklahoma, and I've heard that gas was always cheaper there - Tulsa used to be called the "Oil Capitol of the World".....

That nickel would buy a package of Hot Tamales, or a bottle of pop. (And it was 20% of 25 cents - that would be like saving 80 cents a gallon against $4.00 gas.)

All that said, there is a hauling trip I really need to get done before it goes up again. So I hope it's not just till after the voting.

Tonight regular was $2.97 and Premium that I use is $3.38 ! I filled up and it only cost $54 and I was on fumes when I pulled in.

Low gas prices and it is finally cooling off in Florida..............I must be dreaming ! [cl[cl[cl

Don

Are you sure it wasn't even lower? I'm about 11 years behind you (born 1955, graduated '74), and I remember a 21.9 cents a gal gas war.

I graduated from HS in '67... back then gas was .19 & lower if they had a gas war. They gave out free plates, free glasses & S&H Green Stamps, cleaned your windshield, ck'd u're oil & aired u're tires up but of course the min wage was $1.25! My dad's house payment was $125 a month! At the Wheelburger... a big burger, big fries & big coke was .35! Now THOSE were the good ol daze!!! When I filled up last week reg was $2.64! Go'n in town today & will report back about price! Trust me... gas ain't go'n back up after the election! [cl[cl[cl

BoB

I graduated from HS in '67... back then gas was .19 & lower if they had a gas war. They gave out free plates, free glasses & S&H Green Stamps, cleaned your windshield, ck'd u're oil & aired u're tires up but of course the min wage was $1.25! My dad's house payment was $125 a month! At the Wheelburger... a big burger, big fries & big coke was .35! Now THOSE were the good ol daze!!! When I filled up last week reg was $2.64! Go'n in town today & will report back about price! Trust me... gas ain't go'n back up after the election! [cl[cl[cl

BoB

Lowest I remember was .25 for a gallon, .25 for a burger, .19 for fries and a 69 Maverick was $1995.00 brand new.

When I got out of HS in 63 I worked at gas stations, and we sold bulk oil in quarts for 10 cents a quart. We got it in a 55 gallon drum and pumped it into those glass quart bottles with the pointed metal spouts (the ones that are now collector items).

So that I would have gas for a date I would drain the hose into a can I kept at the pump, I would get a few cents worth of gas each time I did it. When the next customer would come in I would quickly start pumping his gas so that he wouldn't notice the pump jumped up a few cents to refill the hose. Not cool, I know, but we did dumb stuff when we were kids. :eek::eek:

Don

So that I would have gas for a date I would drain the hose into a can I kept at the pump, I would get a few cents worth of gas each time I did it. When the next customer would come in I would quickly start pumping his gas so that he wouldn't notice the pump jumped up a few cents to refill the hose. Not cool, I know, but we did dumb stuff when we were kids. :eek::eek:

Haha... we used to siphon gas out of our neighbors cars all the time when we didn't have any $$$! We ummmmm... borrowed it... that's the ticket!!!

Gas was $2.64 today when I went in town but I filled up with premium & my car really ran great. Next week... back to regular! :D

BoB

I got out of HS in 76 at the height of the oil embargo. Gas spiked at about .65 cent a gallon. I was driving a 455 CID Olds Toranado that got 10 mpg.....4 mpg going up hill and 6mpg going down.

I got out of HS in 76 at the height of the oil embargo. Gas spiked at about .65 cent a gallon. I was driving a 455 CID Olds Toranado that got 10 mpg.....4 mpg going up hill and 6mpg going down.

[cl[cl[cl[cl[cl

I worked at a local Arco station when i was a kid..gas was 28 cents a gallon, burgers at the local Gino's and MickeyD's were 19 cents and I still couldn't afford any of it!:eek::D Ran out of gas once on my bike and it was a Sunday. Remember when stores weren't open that day? Went to all 20 pumps and drained each hose into my tank...made it home! and yes Bob, we did stupid things when we were kids!:D

Whatever the reason for the drop I don't mind a bit. When we moved from IL it was in the upper 3s there and here in AZ it's been lower 3s all summer now dipping to high 2s like everywhere else it seems. Elections, production, whatever. It gets me to work cheaper and right now I need every penny I can save

The U S has ramped up production of crude and now there's a glut so prices are dropping to around $$0 a barrel and OPEC will force the prices lower to compensate...good for us guys as end users but not good for the overall economy.

I'd say the opposite, people will have a little more change in their pocket to go get that burger and fries or go to WalMart. I know it's only a few cents, but it's a psychological thing......people will think they have a bunch more money.

I actually make more when the price of diesel is higher since we get a fuel surcharge. When fuel prices drop, so does the surcharge, so less money in my pocket. I guess I make it up at the pump, but it doesn't seem like it....

Latest posts

Back