Welders

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Miller and Hobart are owned by the same company. Their machines are very similar to millers but both go through the same quality measures.

I work for Miller here in Appleton wi. I would recommend one of our welders over the competition aka the red guys anyday. In weld tests and machine durability we hands down put out a better machine.

Thanks for the info, on Hobart and Miller. And I also wanted to comment on your loyalty, and pride in your work.:cool: And I love the made in America connection.

What is the connection between Miller, and Hobart. I have heard "same parts",and Miller owns Hobart, and other similar conections. So what is the scoop?

I was away for a bit. I see the question has been answered, but here's what I had on the subject...

Borrowed from the 'net....

"Did you know that Hobart is owned by the same company that owns Miller Electric?

ITW (Illinois Tool Works). ITW also owns Weldcraft and Smith Torch Co…. two more quality companies.

Hobart welders are not made in the same plant or by the same workers that manufacture Miller welders, but they still have a reputation and a company philosophy similar to Miller's.

Its just that now that Miller and Hobart are owned by the same company, Hobart is focusing more on the hobbyist welder market."

ITW also owns Bernard and a host of other companies.

http://www.itw.com/itw/bu/power_systems

With that info in hand, it makes sense that Miller and Hobart would share components and technology.

Check this link.

http://www.millerwelds.com/about/ne...er-Hobart-Bernard-Big-Blue-350-PipePro-system

I've got a Miller 251X, bought new in 1999..its got thousands of trouble free hours on it so far..got a dusty old Licoln crackerbox sittin in the corner that hasn't been touched in years and a big 20 hp Hobart portable arc for my outside projects with a 10K watt genny..bought when we were without power for 11 days after the ice storm several years ago..I wish they were all Miller Blue..

If you go look on the front panel of the big Hobart Champ, the lower name on the front panel is Miller.
Theres alot of parts that are interchangable since they're using the same tooling and all....if you look at the newer Hobart Champion Elite, its the same identical welder as the Miller Bobcat.....parts will inetrchange, same stickers just diff. color paint! Its smart business pratice!
Anyway, if your gonna buy a welder, go with a 220 machine, get one bigger than what you need, you can always turn it down, and it'll last you longer.
Theres alot of older machines out there that, if you look, are capable of doing stick, MIG, TIG.
Over by my 4 toolboxes in my shop, I have 2 machines, I have a TIG and a Stick machine Combo, then I have a 180 amp Mig.....but look around. Alot of these older businesses shutting down, they have machines that do all 3, have all the attachments, you can pick them up supercheap, and you'll only use a fraction of their duty cycle. They were built to last and will last you a lifetime if you keep them clean inside, ie, blow them out every-once-in-a-while.....
[;):cool:

Hey Ratfink ! What I purchased for a welder was a Miller DVI mig welder. The DVI stands for Duel Voltage Input . This welder allows me to change from 110 to 220 volts by changing a threaded plug end . One end for 110, and another end for 220. I can do body panels or light metal welding with 110,and chassis or heavy metals with 220. I took a welding class at my local city college,and been having fun welding ever since. good luck ![;)

Not Bad

In my arc welding hay day, on a bet, I welded two tin cans together. Arc welder turned down and 3/32 rod.

I have had both Blue and Red machines over the years, and they are both good, just like Ford and Chevy, there are some lemons out there.

So I'm guessing Ur a pretty fair welder ~:0) VivaChas![;)

I was a red fan for years. I still like some of their products, mostly TIG machines.

Many moons ago I bought a Miller and had such good luck with it I am now a blue fan.

I feel that Miller makes the best MIG welders in the world.

My suggestion is the Millermatic 211. It is a small machine and can be purchased for around 1k.

It is dual voltage but the 220V side works much better (like I had to say that)

It is in my opinion the best of the small type welders. It can handle up to 3/8" steel and will also run thin aluminum with a spool gun.

I bought one a couple of years ago as I wanted a smal portable welder that I could take anywhere and plug in anywhere.

I have abused the heck out of it and it still runs like the day it came out of the box and can lay down a very nice bead.

Just my .02 worth

Goose, looking to buy a welder soon. Was wondering if the Miller 211 would be the way to go. Would this welder do everything I would need it to to. Some frame work, body tin, etc, etc... Price looks great to

Latest posts

Back