3 phase to 110 volt motor swap

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

21willys

I scored this sander the other day but its three phase. My wife took the motor out of it today and discovered it was 1.5 hp. Is a 1.5 hp 110 volt motor the equivalent? It seams that I remember someone saying that they weren't the same? I don't have a clue...

3972F41B-1AE6-4CB1-8E11-AEB82A070C48-1563-000001227E7D2D98.jpg

I have a 2hp 110v motor that I got with another unit. Would it work?

I would think that HP is HP regardless of how you are powering the two different motors electrically.
So if its rated for 1.5HP at x,xxx RPM, then the same HP rating or higher will work if the RPM is correct. You just need to make sure your wiring is sized accordingly, as well as your outlet/breaker etc...

DirtyRat is correct. HP is HP. As long as your RPM's match, and you do not over rate your breaker you should be fine. There should be a tag on the motor telling you what max amperage is.....20, 30,35, etc. The three phase motor uses fewer amps than an equivalent single phase motor. (read cheaper to run).
Hope I did not confuse the issue with too much info. Been an electrician since '75.

Good luck.

I knew they was cheaper to run but wasn't about the rest. Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to dig thru my electric motors and see if I can find one that will work.

Latest posts

Back