Opinions?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I-R-POPS

''Rusty Mopar Slacker''
So my question: Is it worth the hassle of computer control, O2 sensors, wiring madness etc., etc. to install the fuel injection system from a '99 2500 Dodge into my '47 Dodge Pickup?

It would be so much easier to throw an air gap intake, carb and a dizzy at it and be done.

What's got me second guessing myself is the fact that if I have trouble on the road I can usually wade thru a carbureted system and get home. Computerized system, not so much.

I dont want nothing to do with the computer stuff . Like you said if one sensor goes out the whole 9-yards aint gonna do right ,, because one works off the other .. J.M.O.

I'm like you Pops, I can work my way around the old systems, the new stuff sometimes gives me fits. If you know how to check the new stuff, it will usually tell you whats wrong.

The benefits of the new stuff is a better running, more fuel efficient engine that will start at a turn of the key. The downside is all that wiring and sensors and the computer. Some of the systems only need a hot wire, some are pretty complicated.

I'd do what I felt best with. If you don't want to learn all the hoops you have to jump through to get a computer system up and going, go with the carb. I have studied some on some of the computer systems, and I'm not ready to make the jump yet myself.

Not much help, am I? :D

Thanks for the comments guys. I don't know which way I'll go yet.
Too much thinking going on in my head so I'm just going to step back, take a break from it and go to the Colorado high country chill for a week.

Maybe it'll come to me and every thing will just fall into place when I get back.
See ya!

a 99 dodge has a lot of sensors. even the transmission is electronically controlled. If you had a 95 or newer it is a lot more simple. I put a 13 inch edelbrock air cleaner over my moper 360 throttle body and you would never know its not carburated. Plus with obd1 you get the simple wiring you can hide with the reliability of efi.

a 99 dodge has a lot of sensors. even the transmission is electronically controlled. If you had a 95 or older it is a lot more simple. I put a 13 inch edelbrock air cleaner over my moper 360 throttle body and you would never know its not carburated. Plus with obd1 you get the simple wiring you can hide with the reliability of efi.

If you have a complete, running vehicle, with everything you need and I mean everything, upstream and down stream cats, fuel pump, evap. canisters, transmission etc., keep it all intact. How sweet it would be. Overdrive trans, all weather drivability from the moment you turn the key, when some thing does go wrong check engine light comes on and you plug in the scan tool. Parts as close as local auto parts store. It will still have decent power.

The key to me, is you need a complete donor vehicle.

Anything I have ever built I ran a points dist. and a carb or carbs. That being said I'm thinking of running a D.U.I. dist. on my Buick straight eight, only thing holding me back is the $400 price tag!

Latest posts

Back