Utah Aviation builder

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fwak1234

Well I am long time lurker and finally starting a build. My current project is a 1947 CJ2A that I am making into a jeep rod. Picked up a tripped tub, grill, hood (not going to use), and tailgate a few weeks back. So far all I have done so far is patching up the floors to be safe but keep as much original sheet metal as possible. Plus makes the floors look ratty.

My background is as follows:
I have about 3 years experience as a full time car mechanic before joining the Army at 21. I have been in about 9 years now (making me 30) and my job is a Blackhawk and Lakota mechanic. I do pretty much everything on the Lakota being one of the few FAA A&P mechanics in the Army in my state. I picked up doing some light fabrication a few years back when I started to build a 91 4Runnner (rock crawler). I parted out the 4Runner when it started getting too ridiculous. I did a solid axle swap, 2 foot body chop which relocated the whole tailgate/rear glass assembly forward and the glass was still functional, dual transfer cases, leaf spring swap in the rear, home made electric parking brake, and the list goes on.

Moved to Utah a little over a year ago from VA and have grown pretty tired of the offroad scene after seeing too many people disrespect the land and not be open to learning proper trail etiquette or how to tread lightly.

Now were I am. I have been wanting to build a rod since I was 15 and have finally decided to make the jump. I was between a Willy's Wagon and a 2A. Decided to go for the 2A since the wagon was in too good of shape for my to feel comfortable cutting it all up (was a good start for a restoration). I have been spending the past week just doing sheet metal work so far (primarily on the floors). Now I am starting to gather tools and parts. Will be posting up in the build section.

Glad to be here and hope to spread/intake some more knowledge off of this site.

Welcome to Undead Sleds, from northern Alberta. If you've been an long time lurker, you'll know that we like seeing what you're doing and showing off what we're doing, so start a builds thread and join in.

I started my build thread a few minutes ago. Looking forward to building this thing, at least once I get past the sheet metal work. I am not a fan of thin metal welding, tests my patience a little too much but starting to get it down pretty well.

Thanks all, I'll try to keep my build thread updated. Planning to spend about an hour a day after work on it and two of my three days that I have on the weekends to get it built. Semi have a timeline to get the build done. Want to have it built before I move back east (about a year). Would like to have it done by mid May though.

Welcome from Oregon. I spent a few years working on C-141s for the AF back in the... well, a long time ago. :D Have fun with your Jeep, and keep 'em flyin'.

Latest posts

Back