Bend Exhaust

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redidbull

I am not sure where to post this so hope it is alright here. I need to bend an exhaust pipe ~5 degrees. I know that the HF pipe benders crush exhaust but was wondering if anyone has ever done a small bend on it. Any other suggestions? I was going to cut a piece at 5* and mig it but if there is an easier suggestion....well you all know easy is better. Thanks. Jim

Fill the tube with VERY dry sand, cap the ends and use a cutting torch to heat the tube dull red hot . it will bend without collapsing.

I have a Princess Auto pipe bender, which should be the same as a Harbour Freight one. Pipe OD is a different size than tube OD, so that's one reason the exhaust tube crinkles. I filled my whole pipes with sand and bent the slight bends like you want alright. The grief came on bigger bends, and there was lots of grief, but I made complete dual exhaust for my '36 with a cheap pipe bender.

Attachments

• IMG_1132.jpg
    IMG_1132.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1650.jpg
    IMG_1650.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 20
I have a Princess Auto pipe bender, which should be the same as a Harbour Freight one. Pipe OD is a different size than tube OD, so that's one reason the exhaust tube crinkles. I filled my whole pipes with sand and bent the slight bends like you want alright. The grief came on bigger bends, and there was lots of grief, but I made complete dual exhaust for my '36 with a cheap pipe bender.

Thanks. Did you make the over the diff bends too? Jim

Thanks all. I am going to try the sand filled pipe bending first and then continue trying things until I get it. I actually was watching Car Fix yesterday and they needed a slight bend and used an adapter put on at the slight angle and welded it on. Thanks again. Jim

Yes Redi, all of the bends are home built. I made a few modifications to the pipe bender. One was the flatiron 'U' hold-downs. They helped by not putting kinks in the top side of the tube.
As I said though, on the sharp bends I had to cut the kinks out and weld the tube back together and I should have just made the cuts first and welded the good clean cuts.

Latest posts

Back