1949 Ford bobber build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gold03

He lives in an "Altered State"!
I thought I should start a build thread before it got so far ahead of me I couldn't catch up.

My plan is to build a 1949 Ford 2 1/2 ton into a bobber. I bought the truck running and driving. It was sanded to bare metal when I bought it. I don't have much use for a grain truck so the box and hydraulics are coming off. Front and rear axles are being replaced.

Front axle will be a 47 Ford with split wish bones and disc brakes. The rear axle is going to be a toyota axle with 4:10 gears. nice and narrow axle with lots of rim options as it takes six bolt Chevy rims.

The truck has a perfectly running flat head that staying with the project. Not sure about the transmission yet. The one int he truck works fine, but its huge, and hangs low.

I don't want this real low in the weeds because of where and how I drive. next year I am going to try and get the roof chop done. The goal for this year is to trans form the truck from a grain truck into a rolling chassis rat rod.

I have built a frame table for mocking up my suspension and hanging the axles.

Here is a link to video of what I bought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql_GU_S1Lvk&feature=related

Video of the engine running.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kZshL03h9Y&feature=related

Here is video of what I did to the 1947 front end so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHY8Yqpp_V4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

and a picture of what the axle looked like when it came out of the farmers field...

Attachments

• IMG_0445.jpg
    IMG_0445.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 229
Wow, that's a great looking truck! I like the bare metal.....not sure I'd ever put any paint on it :cool:. Leaving the flathead would be cool too [cl

And it's never too late to start a build thread....I started mine 30 years after I started on my Willys :D

Good luck on the '49 [P[P[P

Thanks for the compliment snake farm.

I like the bare metal too, only problem is that here in Alberta it would rust to nothing in a snap. After a couple of beer one day I thought about gun bluing it through the chemical process. Real gun metal grey would look pretty cool. e did the rear axle on a buddies sprint car that way one time. It looked like some kinda black chrome. Competition thought we had all kinds a cash.[ddd To do the whole cab would probably cost more than a decent paint job.

I can't imagine wanting a whole grain truck...but that thing is so nice and complete it is almost a shame to dismantle it. But, ain't nothing better than a hot rod.

Hey Bob, I worried about this thing being in such good shape and cutting it all apart. When I went to the local antique parts dealer and talked to them about it, they said..."What cha gonna do with a grain truck? haul it around from town to town on a transport?" That kinda clinched it for me and no more guilt.

The previous owner redid the door glass rubbers, recovered the seat, and installed a new headliner. That grain box is totally rebuilt and fully functional. I am going to sell the box and hydraulics. If anyone is looking for really big two speed axle....I have one...anyone?

I wanted a truck that was in good shape. I really liked the running flathead. I let it sit so long the add expired, but I had saved the guys phone number on my phone. made the call after looking at it twice.

This last week end I bought my front disc brake kit. Installed my king pin bushings. Now I need to find someone to ream them to size here in Edmonton. I was going to hone them, but started getting a taper, so looking for a reamer.

One thing I need is an easy replacement for the stock power brakes. Yeah, stock. Bendix stuff. I would like enough vacuum booster to not need a vacuum reservoir. Is that really how you spell vacuum?[S

I really like the idea of spring over frame suspension in the back.

This picture got me thinking though... note the broken bolt.

gold03

Attachments

• IMG_0422.JPG
    IMG_0422.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 417
bushed

I just thought I would give a heads up. I installed new bushings and went looking for someone to ream them for me. No luck. I'm going to buy my own and do it myself.

When I measured the pins I got from Speed Way I find they measure 0.810. The standard 0.812 or 0.814 nonadjustable reamer will not give me the right clearance of 0.001 to 0.0015. They would end up loose.

Just something to keep in mind if you are doing yours.

I am using a 1947 Ford car axle and spindles on my 1949 Ford bobber

gold03

Here is some video of the work I did on the spindles, axle and bones. so far everything is looking OK.

http://youtu.be/IkGN7MaYUPg

This is a picture of my Truck. See earlier posts for some youtube video of the truck.

The picture is the before. They were fresh out of the field. Was pretty rusty. I have since installed my king pin bushings and am waiting for UPS to deliver my reamer I had to buy. Couldn't find anyone local to ream the bushings and don't mind owning the tool myself, so bought one.

I can't wait to get the truck home and onto my frame table I have been working on. Winter:mad:

gold03

Attachments

• IMG_0447.jpg
    IMG_0447.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_0399.jpg
    IMG_0399.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 359
Got the bushings reamed today. Sunday I will mock up my front spindles and brakes. [cl

Bushings were pretty easy. I bought a reamer because I couldn't find any one to do it for me and I like t own the too when the tool is about the same cost as getting someone to do a job... as in this case.
picture of the reamer and finished pin installed in spindle.

gold03

gold03

Attachments

• Bushings reamed.jpg
    Bushings reamed.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 193
Cool, Whats the off set for? Its a little odd in that set up. The bolt would have been used in a different configuration originally, but I can't figure out the reason for the offset[S

gold03

Here is a piece I bought for $130.00[cl. It was used in a garage door factory to hold door sections as they came off the assembly line. It is going to be my frame table/jig.

I have manufactured six legs that will be welded to the bottom of the frame so I can screw down the leg to level the table and prevent the whole thing from sliding around on the castors. There is a huge nut inside the square tubing that the threaded rod threads into. I ground it down so it fit tight inside the tubing then drilled, button welded and welded the lip too. The nut and washer are welded to form an adjustable foot, so the whole thing can be turned with a wrench to level the table/jig on the floor.

I want some thing similar to the legs for between the frame table/jig and the truck frame. I was thinking of buying some jack stands and cutting them up, but their ratchet system is not fine enough to level the truck. I will probably build something similar to the legs that can be repositioned around the table/jig as needed.

gold03

Attachments

• frame tableJPG.jpg
    frame tableJPG.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 167
  • legs.jpg
    legs.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 152
Got my spindles installed on the axle. Installed the brake adapter sleeve by heating in the oven at 400 degrees for 45 minutes. It dropped right on with out the press.

I mocked up the brakes to check for interference. None found. I'm not sure I will have enough room for a spring over with out bending the steering arm[S

Here are a few pictures.

hmmm.. can't post pictures today. lets see if it will work now.

Gold03

Attachments

• IMG_0499.jpg
    IMG_0499.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0500.jpg
    IMG_0500.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0501.jpg
    IMG_0501.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 173
Looking good

Looks like youre making good progress on the axle!

Mine is painted (gasp) and sitting awaiting me putting it all together.

Looks real similar to the brake kit I'm running, I had to get longer wheel studs, did you run into that as well?

Dirtyrat,

I haven't decided on a tire and wheel combination yet. I liked the look you are going for and might go that way. I had originally thought of going with tall skinny tires all around. Since no decision on the tires and rims, I haven't tried bolting up any rims. Your stud problem must have been due to the alloy rims?

gold03

Latest posts

Back