Missing detail on cowl steering

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocksalt

I've done several searches and posted in some of the car forums I'm a member of but I keep missing a detail in cowl steering.
Using a Model A Sedan as an example:
-If the steering box needs to be mounted to a brace that is welded to the frame, how do you put a body on a frame over the brace if the body has a floor?
-Do you mount the body, fabricate the brace and then make the floor around the brace?
-Or Can you make a stout brace inside the body that mounts with some heavy bolts to heavy brackets on the frame?
That's the part of the puzzle I'm missing. I keep seeing Mopar cowl steering setups but I always seem to miss the photo where they have the car finished with the detail of the floor, brace and frame involved.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Never seen one done. If the body isn't rugged enough you could have a bracket welded to the frame that's even with the floor. Bolt the mount for the steering gear to it and use grommets or a gasket of some sort at the floor. I like the look of cowl steering but it's not very practical for a guy with long legs. My other problem with it is if you were ever in an accident. your knees and legs would take a hell of a beating.

Proper cowl steering setups have a frame work inside the car body that the systems mounts to.
Think of it as a roll bar, but behind the dash.
And yes. It gets welded to the frame and you make the floor board around it. If bolted, you could bolt it to the frame through the floor boards as well.
never just mount these systems to the body as they aren't strong enough..
Torchie

Never seen one done. If the body isn't rugged enough you could have a bracket welded to the frame that's even with the floor. Bolt the mount for the steering gear to it and use grommets or a gasket of some sort at the floor. I like the look of cowl steering but it's not very practical for a guy with long legs. My other problem with it is if you were ever in an accident. your knees and legs would take a hell of a beating.

My concern would be having the exposed steering arm in an accident can suddenly make something minor into something major when your vehicle suddenly changes direction. It looks cool, but it's not for me.

Latest posts

Back