BLACK FRIDAY PURCHASE "The Bird

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricks Garage

I am not done with my 47 Ford p/u but this came along at the right price with free delivery. Plans are to narrow it 20" and pull the cowl back to the rear edge of the door opening, eliminating the door and about 4 foot of floor and rust. MG windshield and a 60 Studebaker LARK nose and grill......

weld on ..........[;)

Attachments

• the bird-3.jpg
    the bird-3.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 143
  • the bird-2.jpg
    the bird-2.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 106
  • the bird-4.jpg
    the bird-4.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 127
  • the bird-5.jpg
    the bird-5.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 109
  • the bird-6.jpg
    the bird-6.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 102
  • nose-studebaker.jpg
    nose-studebaker.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 108
  • the bird-8.jpg
    the bird-8.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 92
  • the bird-7.jpg
    the bird-7.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 83
  • the bird-9.jpg
    the bird-9.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 83
Love these hybrid type builds! Anxious to monitor your progress! We are starting a similar project with a narrowed '53 Caddy rear section with Model A doors and cowl.

Bill in SC

Snake Farm:
Yes, this is very close to what I have in mind for this bird.
A lot of ideas are being worked out.
Carson top that will open with a reverse trunk to allow entry.
Rear air bags to lower it to allow entry.
I am working trying to acquire an engine (429 or 472 Caddy)
I have contacted at least 6 people regarding the width of their advertised rear end and cannot get a response.:confused: I am looking for a E150 van rear end 77-86. (looking for a rear end that is over 62" wide backing plate to backing plate)
Most likely will use a back seat from a Lincoln.
When I narrow the dashboard area I will redo the Bird one to fit.

lots of cutting before.... weld on..........[;)

Just what I need. More great ideas for my NEXT project.

Maybe I should get the current project running first. Hmmm. Great idea, Skip. Why don't you?

Still working on self motivation. Sigh...

Skip, I have my 47 Ford in the garage and "The Bird" in the driveway covered with a tarp.
I defense, I have been drawing the idea for this T-Bird type build for a long time and it fell into my lap, literally.

I am looking for a wide rear end out of a E150 van. Once I acquire it I can proceed with narrowing the body. I have bought a MGB windshield frame and fender skirts. As a Christmas present to my self I bought a set of wire wheels 14x6 and 15x7. My plasma cutter shut down (its 23 years old) so I have to get another one this week. I then can trim the cowl and center floor area to at least pull them together to check out the length of the passenger compartment. The front end will be designed around a 54 Chevy truck axle with the pads for the leaf springs turned into pads for short coil springs (Bird Manufacturing made some of their T-kits that way) panhard bar and radius rods to hold the axle in place. The extra sheet metal is to blend the Studebaker grill surround to the front of the body. I am leaning towards a big Cadillac engine, using the short headers and run big lake pipes down the sides. Fabbed intake. The headlights will be mounted in the cowl.
Rick[P

weld on..........[;)

Attachments

• the-bird-imagine.jpg
    the-bird-imagine.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 42
A medical condition has put this project on hold for the last 5 months. I have recovered very well from two surgeries. I'm still searching for a wide rear end....the width of the whole car depends on the rear end. I have located a source for a 401 nailhead and trans (dropped the cadillac search after I found out the cost of parts and rebuild). Found a great Stud Lark grill and surround.
I have the spindles, rotors and coilovers for the front. Now that I have organized the garage I have started to work on my '47 Ford.[cl There is enough room to bring in 1/2 the T-bird body and cowl.:cool:

weld on..........[;)

Glad to hear that you are on the mend.
Hopefully that nailhead is in running condition or the price of that rebuild may put you back on the sick list again..[ddd
What trans did you get with it?
Torchie

Latest posts

Back