Custom Mopar ????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks all.
I'm off tomorrow to look at a 01 S-10 xtreme for possible chassis use on the Dodge. 2 wheel drive. It's wheel base is 123 and the Dodge is 123.5. Plus it's close.
I would like to keep it all Mopar, but at this point beggars can't be choosey.[ddd
And I've got to do something to move this project ahead....
Torchie.

Last edited:
Thanks all.
I'm off tomorrow to look at a 01 S-10 xtreme for possible chassis use on the Dodge. 2 wheel drive. It's wheel base is 123 and the Dodge is 123.5. Plus it's close.
I would like to keep it all Mopar, but at this point beggars can't be choosey.[ddd
And I've got to do something to move this project ahead....
Torchie.
Good luck. That's the S10 model with the good suspension parts from the factory. With the track width on it, you will be able to run some wide tires under the Dodge. There is also an adapter plate to gain/lose that half inch if it is actually an issue. If you decide to run with it, there is an S10 V8 site that has a wealth of information. There is also thread here, and on El Porko.

Good luck. That's the S10 model with the good suspension parts from the factory. With the track width on it, you will be able to run some wide tires under the Dodge. There is also an adapter plate to gain/lose that half inch if it is actually an issue. If you decide to run with it, there is an S10 V8 site that has a wealth of information. There is also thread here, and on El Porko.

I believe it would have been great skip, but.......The frame was toast on it as well.:eek:
I guess the silver lining is I now have another option for the Dodge Frame. There seems to be a lot more s-10's around then the Gen 1 Dakotas.
So i'm ow looking for a s-10 xtreme, or extended cab- 2wheel drive as well as the first Gen Dakota.
This isn't getting any easier.[S
Torchie

Last edited:

Skip.
Will that adapter plate you mention work on all the S-10's or just the xtremes?
I am woefully ignorant of S-10 stuff. But learning.[ddd
Torchie

Skip.
Will that adapter plate you mention work on all the S-10's or just the xtremes?
I am woefully ignorant of S-10 stuff. But learning.[ddd
Torchie

Any S10 can use the adapter plates. You should really just look for any S10 because Xtremes are hard to come by. The Xtreme adds bigger sway bars, a rear sway bar, close ratio steering box, factory lowered suspension, and on some years a frame brace and anti-hop shock. All S10 Xtremes are 2wd, but could be had in extended cab or regular cab.

I personally don't like S10 frames for vintage cars because of the frame kickup in the rear, but there are ways to deal with that and you're a smart cookie.

Any S10 frame, should you go that route, will give you good handling, ride, and brakes stock. An extended cab S10 of any year should suit your needs.

Any S10 can use the adapter plates. You should really just look for any S10 because Xtremes are hard to come by. The Xtreme adds bigger sway bars, a rear sway bar, close ratio steering box, factory lowered suspension, and on some years a frame brace and anti-hop shock. All S10 Xtremes are 2wd, but could be had in extended cab or regular cab.

I personally don't like S10 frames for vintage cars because of the frame kickup in the rear, but there are ways to deal with that and you're a smart cookie.

Any S10 frame, should you go that route, will give you good handling, ride, and brakes stock. An extended cab S10 of any year should suit your needs.

Thanks snopro.
What drew me to this xtreme was the lowered stance as well as the length.(Plus the price). As you mentioned , and I am finding out, any year extended cab will work.
I'm not a big S-10 frame swap guy , or even any kind of frame swap guy.:p
I prefer to use OG frames.. I've only helped to do one in my entire 48 year history of messing with cars and trucks.:eek:
I tried to find a S-10 frame diagram, like I have for the stock 49 Dodge, and for the Dodge Dakota so I can compare but with no luck.
And truthfully. I"m running out of steam on this one.:(
Oh well. Tomorrows another day.....
Keep on keeping on.
Torchie

Thanks snopro.
What drew me to this xtreme was the lowered stance as well as the length.(Plus the price). As you mentioned , and I am finding out, any year extended cab will work.
I'm not a big S-10 frame swap guy , or even any kind of frame swap guy.:p
I prefer to use OG frames.. I've only helped to do one in my entire 48 year history of messing with cars and trucks.:eek:
I tried to find a S-10 frame diagram, like I have for the stock 49 Dodge, and for the Dodge Dakota so I can compare but with no luck.
And truthfully. I"m running out of steam on this one.:(
Oh well. Tomorrows another day.....
Keep on keeping on.
Torchie

I have photos of my bare frame but I doubt that will help you much. My best resources for a frame diagram turned up empty. If you need any measurements I can try to do some off my 46.

I hope you don't lose steam on this one! It's turning out really good!

Torchie, are you completely sure on that 123.5" wheelbase for the old Dodge? I did some google searching and came up with 120". You have the car so I'm sure you know what you need, I was just curious since 120" wheelbase might be hard to come by in any newer car, unless your wheels currently aren't centered.

Sidenote, I found some photos of a 1951 Dodge Coronet Diplomat and thought it had a really cool roofline that would look great as a custom (personally I'd lower the rear of the roof for more of a fastback look).

fl0115-201415_1.jpg
fl0115-201415_2.jpg

Correct as far as I know snopro. Make sure you are looking at the 49 Dodge coronet. Not just a 49 Dodge. They were a half year production model.
Also make sure it’s not a Wayfarer as they were shorter also.
May have to breakout the tape measure when I get home.
Torchie

Best I can find for S10 frame dimensions...

Second generation...

attachment.php

First generation...

attachment.php

Both are 2WD pickups with different wheelbases and some changes occurred between the generations. I understand the critical dimensions are nearly identical, where a first generation body should bolt to a second generation frame and vice versa. (Curiosity forced me to lay one drawing over the other.)

At any rate, if you add 14.625" WB to the second generation drawing, or 5" WB to the first generation drawing, the widths don't change and they are the virtually the same.

I wish I could provide you with more measurements and more detail. (20 years ago, I'd call a friend in the business and have measurements to the 64th.)

Best I can find for S10 frame dimensions...

Second generation...

attachment.php

First generation...

attachment.php

Both are 2WD pickups with different wheelbases and some changes occurred between the generations. I understand the critical dimensions are nearly identical, where a first generation body should bolt to a second generation frame and vice versa. (Curiosity forced me to lay one drawing over the other.)

At any rate, if you add 14.625" WB to the second generation drawing, or 5" WB to the first generation drawing, the widths don't change and they are the virtually the same.

I wish I could provide you with more measurements and more detail. (20 years ago, I'd call a friend in the business and have measurements to the 64th.)

For some reason, your pics are not working. At least not for me.

For some reason, your pics are not working. At least not for me.

Me no see either kimosabe!

^^^^ X's 3 ^^^^
I thought that it was because I was on my phone.
I'm also looking into Ford ranger frames.
Neither will keep it all Mopar but it is what it is......
The biggest issue in my area is finding a 2 wheel drive anything, anymore. Let alone a truck.
Not much time to work on the Dodge or the boat as we are still keeping an eye on Moms-in-law.
Plus my wife has to have eye surgery done on Thursday, so that will leave me as the least disabled person among the 3 of us. That's a scary thought just by itself.:eek: :eek: [ddd
Torchie

Correct as far as I know snopro. Make sure you are looking at the 49 Dodge coronet. Not just a 49 Dodge. They were a half year production model.
Also make sure it’s not a Wayfarer as they were shorter also.
May have to breakout the tape measure when I get home.
Torchie

You're right, the links I looked at yesterday said they were for the Coronet but seem to be inaccurate. I found a more reliable source this morning which shows the 123.5" wheelbase.

I have a 96 S10 extended cab donor Torchie, no accidents, just a long way from you.

Just stick it in the mailbox Burgerman.:eek:
Thanks for the thought. I'll find something local. Just not today.[ddd

You're right, the links I looked at yesterday said they were for the Coronet but seem to be inaccurate. I found a more reliable source this morning which shows the 123.5" wheelbase.
Of all the vehicles I have worked on Mopars/This era Dodge seem to have the most misinformation or no information at all snopro.
Throw in the first series/second series stuff and it really gets [S [S
I searched High and Low to get that measurement.
Torchie

Just stick it in the mailbox Burgerman.:eek:
Thanks for the thought. I'll find something local. Just not today.[ddd

Of all the vehicles I have worked on Mopars/This era Dodge seem to have the most misinformation or no information at all snopro.
Throw in the first series/second series stuff and it really gets [S [S
I searched High and Low to get that measurement.
Torchie

These guys generally seem pretty reliable, but sometimes have misinformation of course.

https://www.automobile-catalog.com/make/dodge/full-size_dodge_2gen/full-size_dodge_2gen_coronet_club_coupe/1949.html

Latest posts

Back