1937 Packard 115 coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tacked in place, I had to run it thru the planishing hammer a few times to get the right 'bubble' across it - using the shrinker on the bottom edge curved the bottom but forcing it in place without that step would have flattened it in the center.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1234.JPG
    IMG_1234.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1235.JPG
    IMG_1235.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 72
I'm not making light of your talent, with the steps that you demonstrate to us it, take some of the mystery out of the process.
Thanks to you and all the members who do this, it expands our knowledge base and allows us to put out a better finished product.

I'm not making light of your talent, with the steps that you demonstrate to us it, take some of the mystery out of the process.
Thanks to you and all the members who do this, it expands our knowledge base and allows us to put out a better finished product.

That's what I look for in the so-called reality shows about car builders, not a bunch of clowns that think they are actors.... I want to learn and see how things are built and made, but that seems to be to boring for the Networks...

You're going to have a heck of a lot of work in this car to make it look like you didn't do anything ;)

Great work, looking good!

Ain't that the truth - I guess I'm a sucker for punishment :eek:

Thanks!
18 ga., a lot thicker than the original steel which is probably 21 or 22ga.

That's what I like to use as well. Still formable and not as easy to burn thru with the welds.
The only time I see any of those car builder shows is when I'm in the hospital as we don't have TV.
All the same and mostly soap operas with out the good looking cast.:eek: [ddd
Torchie

That's what I look for in the so-called reality shows about car builders, not a bunch of clowns that think they are actors.... I want to learn and see how things are built and made, but that seems to be to boring for the Networks...

Ain't that the truth - I guess I'm a sucker for punishment :eek:

I think we're all suckers for punishment! :p I like a car that's modified to look like nothing was touched because you've improved the flow of it, so in my opinion you're doing an awesome job!

Have you seen Hand Build Hot Rods? So far there's only 6 episodes (I have it on Motor Trend on Demand), but it follows Steve Strope of Pure Vision. It's one of the only "TV" shows that I'll watch on there. I mostly watch the original YouTube-style motor trend shows on there.

All welded in and the body lowered back down on the frame to size up where to cut the new, lower holes for the bumper irons to fit through.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1236.JPG
    IMG_1236.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1238.JPG
    IMG_1238.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 74
Could you make bumper irons that drops under the back panel then back up to the desired height, thus eliminating the need to punch holes in the back panel?

Could you make bumper irons that drops under the back panel then back up to the desired height, thus eliminating the need to punch holes in the back panel?

I have thought about that, the main issue with that is that they would hang down below the bumper and be visible from the rear. The bumper will sit 3/4" above the tailpipes , even with the bottom of the rear panel. Yeah, I know it seems nuts to cut holes in those nice clean corners, I do have repro rubber bungs to fit the irons through, so it does lend a stock look to it...... Still thinking on this one....

I have thought about that, the main issue with that is that they would hang down below the bumper and be visible from the rear. The bumper will sit 3/4" above the tailpipes , even with the bottom of the rear panel. Yeah, I know it seems nuts to cut holes in those nice clean corners, I do have repro rubber bungs to fit the irons through, so it does lend a stock look to it...... Still thinking on this one....

I thought the same, that the drop-down irons would interrupt the clean lines you've got going on. You'll definitely figure out what will look best!

I thought the same, that the drop-down irons would interrupt the clean lines you've got going on. You'll definitely figure out what will look best!
Agreed.

I thought about it too, but I thought more about the idea of going under and up.

Besides, bumpers are overrated. :D

If I recall, bumpers are required by law in BC. :(

Nice work, zz! Our '37 Coupe project needs a new tailpan and I'm not looking forward to the job... can we ship the car to you? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
attachment.php
If I recall, bumpers are required by law in BC. :(

Nice work, zz! Our '37 Coupe project need a new tailpan and I'm not looking forward to the job... can we ship the car to you? :rolleyes:

Thanks Doc, yeah, they are required, at least to pass a safety inspection to register it. (They often mysteriously disappear later :cool:)
I have this nice rechromed bumper for it and the owner wants it on so end of discussion on that..... Looking at this pic of a stocker, I was about to mount it upside down! You can see how it is even with the bottom of the trunk lid - this one will be about 3" lower, making the car look lower without actually being so.
If I bring another car home there would definitely be trouble in the hen house :(

Attachments

• 18439_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg
    18439_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 63

Latest posts

Back