First post

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimisbell

I have been a car lover since my first car a 1929 Ford sedan that I bought at the age of 12 years in 1948. Collected over 120 different cars over the years and still have 8 cars. I grew up in SoCal in the 1950s so Hot Rods have always been a passion.
I just bought a 1937 Ford pick up roadster with a Caddy 500 on Ebay. It was a great price and no big surprises when delivered.

I dont really like the term "Rat Rod" because it is used derogatorily by those that think a car built in a fancy shop to race (illegally) on the streets of LA is some how superior to a car built to race on the "lakes". I dont .

Its taken me a while, and some snotty remarks before I found where like minded people reside, HERE.

Unless someone talks me out of it, I am thinking about replacing the El Dorado engine with a full race Flathead.

Yo

Hi jimisbell and Welcome to RRR from northern Alberta. Much as I'm a Ford in a Ford sorta guy, I hate to see you throw away a legend motor, also. I eagerly await your pictures. Here's almost what your truck would look like with a flathead in it.
Keep on tinkering.

Attachments

• closeup 36 motor and cab.jpg
    closeup 36 motor and cab.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 11
Welcome to RRR! Don't worry about what anybody calls it, just drive it. Tripper means "Be nice, it's not that hard." seriously here, so no fear of rude attitude.

We'd love to see any old pics you have! Or new ones for that matter.

That's a good lookin' ride. I like the rake on it. Windshield looks like they did a decent job too - sometimes using the truck frame comes out looking heavy and awkward. 500 or flattie, to each his own as long as you .... HEY WHAT'S THAT IN THE BACKGROUND!!!! ....looks like a fenderless business coupe or something.... [dr Well?

The background is in St Louis MO at the POs business. I havent any idea whats in the background, I had a friend the lives in Columbia MO go pick it up for me and he will bring it down to Texas next month, so I havent even seen it myself!!

Hi jimisbell,
I noticed that you have the '36 truck grille instead of the '37 one---- good choice, as one is dang pretty and one is butt ugly. I'm sure you could lower your centre of gravity a foot with a flathead in there if that's what you want. You wouldn't see the bird catcher anymore. Good luck with the new ride.
I told you I was a Ford in a Ford guy, and I believe in that, but I drive a Merc pick-up with a Plymouth in it, so you can't believe everything I say.

Hello jimisbell again,
I went out to the shop and measured my flathead for you. It's 24" tall from the bottom of the pan to the carb base, and 35" tall to the top of the air cleaner. Everyones carb/air cleaner will be slightly different, but these measurements will help you decide on which engine. Good Luck.

Here are the complete set of pictures. The car was picked up last week in St Louis and is now in Columbia and next week it will be here in south Texas,

Knowledge I need:

1) Insurance, where? Will Haggerty insure this car?

2) Is there anyone that can build a top (removable) for this or do I do it myself?

3) Ford hubcaps, red wheels and chrome beauty rings, or spun aluminum "lakes" covers ?

Attachments

• KGrHqFlcFFybifO0BRdV7COI60_3.JPG
    KGrHqFlcFFybifO0BRdV7COI60_3.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 4
  • KGrHqFqUFEDuvVsBRdV7JR7hQ60_3.JPG
    KGrHqFqUFEDuvVsBRdV7JR7hQ60_3.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 4
  • KGrHqJqYFEyUIR9yBRdV7PKqIw60_3.JPG
    KGrHqJqYFEyUIR9yBRdV7PKqIw60_3.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 3
  • T2eC16Jw0E9szNWoJBRdV7ZD2s60_3.JPG
    T2eC16Jw0E9szNWoJBRdV7ZD2s60_3.JPG