6 volt to 12 volt step up converter

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

53 stickfigure

I'm wanting a tachometer in my 53 chevy but the car is 6 volt. It was mentioned before to use a step up converter. I've found a few cheap ones on ebay and was about to order one but i noticed they have different amps. One is 6 volt in and 12 volt out with 1 amp and another is 2 amp. Does anyone know how many amps it takes to run the tachometer? I'm not worried about the light, just the actual tachometer itself. I've looked everywhere on the Internet and can't find anything.

First off make sure the tach is compatible with a V8 or 6 cylinder engine.
The tach doesn't pull any amps to speak of.

WesTach can build you a 6V tach. - http://www.westach.com/

But really, why not just convert to 12V? It's way easier (and cheaper) than jumping through all these hoops to make an antiquated charging system work. Obviously not a restoration here, and there is a reason 12V became standard. Do the conversion and run any tach you want.

Im gonna run the 6 volt this summer then put her in the garage this winter when im not driving her to change a lot of things over. This is just a for now thing.

Latest posts

Back