Cool diesel

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This year's Lonestar Round Up was a real surprise... never seen so many diesel powered rattys in my life! Must have had a big sale on them or something! [ddd[ddd[ddd

BoB

While it sounds good on video, those Detroits will deafen you without mufflers. And the way he's lugging it, it won't last long. The two stroke Detroits were designed to be operated at peak RPM, lugging them like that will dilute the oil and eat the bearings out of the bottom end quick. I've ran a lot of equipment with that same engine, you run it close to wide open all the time if you want it to live.

Maybe I'm just a pessimist, but I don't care for it at all. Only time you should see any smoke is on a gear change when pulling, any more is over fueled. Been fooling with diesel equipment and trucks the last 40 years, so I have a little experience with lots of them...

I'm with you bama. I have a compound turned 1st gen Cummins. It puffs alittle smoke when you start it or floor it for a split second then it clears up. Wasted fuel. I love the sound of a screaming Detroit. My dad is a diesel mechanic so I have seen around my fair share.

Yes, that is a punk, gaspot driver who hasn't learned how to drive a diesel yet.
When your driving a carburetored gas motor, your foot controls the air flow into the motor and the airflow controls the amount of fuel it gets. With a diesel, your foot directly controls the amount of fuel going into the motor. If you have a bad attitude toward driving and haven't learned much yet, you will over-fuel the diesel.
Driving a Jimmy isn't much fun after the first twenty minutes.

Latest posts

Back