Smoke from Canada

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe if our north of the border friends run out of cigarette papers the smoke will die down.:D

Gee Wiz.....I can't breathe. Hope you guys in Canada are ok.

Here in Alberta, our fire season started very early as Mac had shown on another thread. It was very smoky a couple weeks ago (luckily I was away on vacation). Right now I have no smoke at home. Depending on the fire situation and prevailing winds, some days we have a gloomy grey-orange sky and the next the smoke can all be gone.

It was so smokey here yesterday, it's like I'm burning plastic water bottles in a barrel in the back yard. Todays a bit better. We had 1000 acres burn 5 miles from the house last month an it wasn't this smokey.

Hope its clearing up, that picture of New York the other day looked like Mars.

I saw a live satellite video view when the fires started, 21 places at the same time = arson?

This was Wednesday AM in SW Connecticut. Jim

Attachments

• 20230606_074156.jpg
    20230606_074156.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 7
Hope its clearing up, that picture of New York the other day looked like Mars.

I saw a live satellite video view when the fires started, 21 places at the same time = arson?

Not sure about those specifically. Here you see tons of people flick cigarette butts out of their car window on a daily basis. When we had two fires burning near us, on the emergency band there was someone with a campfire near one of the fires. It was a total fire ban. Many of these fires when we're so dry can be attributed to "people are not very smart."

Not sure about those specifically. Here you see tons of people flick cigarette butts out of their car window on a daily basis. When we had two fires burning near us, on the emergency band there was someone with a campfire near one of the fires. It was a total fire ban. Many of these fires when we're so dry can be attributed to "people are not very smart."

I see it all the time snopro......some people are stupid

Hey guys haven't been around for a while, I'm right in the heart of fire country. I'm in Edson Ab helping my brother put a new wood basement under his house. There is a huge fire that burned 14 km south of town since May 170000 hectares caused a 3 day evacuation. Last Friday they evacuated town again the fire grew 85000 hectares in 24 hours to just 1.5 km south of town. We stayed during the evacuation to keep working on the basement, lot of rain fell and they just lifted the evacuation order yesterday at 6pm. Pretty scary situation.

A little smoke and haze down here is nothing compared to what you are dealing with. Stay safe, Glen.

Very scary, Glen!

We have gotten some good rain here the last 3 days. Not sure you've gotten all we have but hopefully enough for the firefighters to gain the upper hand.

Hey guys haven't been around for a while, I'm right in the heart of fire country. I'm in Edson Ab helping my brother put a new wood basement under his house. There is a huge fire that burned 14 km south of town since May 170000 hectares caused a 3 day evacuation. Last Friday they evacuated town again the fire grew 85000 hectares in 24 hours to just 1.5 km south of town. We stayed during the evacuation to keep working on the basement, lot of rain fell and they just lifted the evacuation order yesterday at 6pm. Pretty scary situation.

how much..? those 2 fires combined would be over 6 times the surface of my country... [S

Travelling around Europe is like going from state to state in the USA or province to province in Canada.

how much..? those 2 fires combined would be over 6 times the surface of my country... [S

Here's a visual for you. The province where Mac and I live and where Dozer is currently, is 16X the land area of The Netherlands (with 26% of the population of The Netherlands). This graphic shows The Netherlands size compared to Alberta.

attachment.php

According to Alberta Wildfire, the total area of wildfires burned in Alberta so far this year is approximately 35% of the land area of your country, while it's 2.2% of the land area of Alberta. We're extremely dry this year.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-16 154104.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-16 154104.png
    7 KB · Views: 14
I made a wrong calculation... The Netherlands are almost 42000km2 and from what I read the surface lost to fires in canada this year is about 48000km2. Still crazy numbers though.... :eek:

Latest posts

Back