welding table

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I built min out of 2x3 square tube with a 3/8" thick plate on top. Old dock plate I scored from a warehouse tear down. sorry for the big size

100_0248.jpg

got to build new table need input, ideas, want to build areally good one that functions well, :D:D:D:D:D:D

get a top plate thick enough to drill into and tap the holes -- then you just need bolts and plates with holes as clamps -- also - dont make it too tall lol
remember you have to lift whatever youre working on up on it one way or another -- you can always put a little mechanic stool and sit while you weld or work - but anything over waste high gets to be a pain --- some folks like positionable ones but ive never used the one i have lol

My main table is 4.5 x 6 feet made from 1.5 inch solid sheet. It weighs 1800 lbs, and is flat, square, and level. It is 34 inches tall, and has square tube extensions for big projects.

321table4.jpg

My little table is 30 inches X 48 inches X 1.75 thick, and weighs in at 450 lbs. There is a an extension built to one side for longer projects, and it is 34 inches high.

tripper3.jpg

I like a table that you can clamp things down to while you weld them, and it will not warp from the heat.
alink8.jpg

one of my tables is over an inch thick plate lol -- its drilled and tapped for 15/16 in bolts periodically in circles from the center -- then i have a bunch of plates about 4"x8" with 1in holes in them -- just shove the bolts through the holes and bolt it in -- instant clamp lol ==
another table its made of smaller I beams works great for clamping wherever you need to clamp and can be used to cut on

-- i do like that extension idea.

oh yea. I got $0 in mine. All the parts came frome cast off scrap from a torn down warehouse, a steel fab shop and a paper mills metal bin. [cl

I definately could use at least a 1" thick top though. if I try and heat/bend stuff in the side holes, the plate just bends.

I have made a number of table's over the years my first as I bought the top new was quarter inch thick and 36 and a quarter inches tall (I forgot to deduct the thickness of the plate) and my next four tables were all the same height cause I could space them out or stick them next to one another and make my flat surface bigger now a days my table is eight feet wide and twenty feet long one and one half inches thick I found it on Craigslist for $2000.00. I did not buy it but my boss did and my last table got stuck out side it is one inch thick five feet by ten feet with 1/2 - 13 holes on six inch centers so i can use my hold downs from my mill to clamp stuff to the table. On the big table we just weld to it, cut and grind it off after wards, I made some modified C clamps I cut the top of the clamp off and welded it to a piece of 2x2x1/2 bar stock and tack weld it to the top kind of like a portable clamp anywhere and if you only weld on the inside edge you can brake it off and move it easily.For some reason I can't find my pic of that table but I can find a pic of my mediun anvil on the table.:cool:

Attachments

• STUFF FROM RANCH 029.jpg
    STUFF FROM RANCH 029.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 88
I like floor grate material. The kind thats made of vertical standing flat stock. This allows the use of clamps anywhere they are need, plus it makes a great cutting table for torch or plasma cutting. I also put a sand box under it to catch the sparks.

Elevator door gone flat

I tell you what I did. I live down here in Pensacola FL and you know we have hurricanes. What is really great is to use is an elevator door. They usually go to the beach condos and replace all the exterior elevator doors. Naturally they have stainless steel skins on the outside,but what is cool they have an extremely heavy honeycomb inside,kinda resembles a checkerboard. I guess they must weigh 250 lbs. Really make a nice workbench top !!!

my table

This is the one I built. It's perfect and cheap. I think i built the whole thing for about 45 bucks. Even has wheels on one side so you can lift up one side and move it around. And has adjustable feet to make it level no matter what surface the table is on. And also a Bottom shelf and a place where you can slide your stool in and out from under the table. (Wheels aren't shown in the picture)

http://www.uniqueprojects.com/projects/weldingtable/weldingtable.htm

weldingtablebig.jpg

Latest posts

Back