Craftsman

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52 fordman

After many years of making tools scream we finally killed one. The old 3/8 ratchet is done. While changing a transmission on a 2001 toyota we twisted it apart. Only took a 19mm impact socket and 4 feet of pipe. Could not get any other ratchet inbetween the frame and body. Ended up cutting off the nut because it was cross threaded from the factory and rust set in.
Went to sears and got a new one for free with no questions asked...

52 fordman

Just don't try to return an almost new defective floor jack. I did and they only warrant "Hand tools" for life. So I have a $ 300 floor jack that settles down under load and even the home office of Sears refused to take it back. The jack in question was 7 months old at the time. :mad::mad:

Don

Just don't try to return an almost new defective floor jack. I did and they only warrant "Hand tools" for life. So I have a $ 300 floor jack that settles down under load and even the home office of Sears refused to take it back. The jack in question was 7 months old at the time. :mad::mad:

Don

Seems like you could get a repair kit for that!!

I bought a HF cheepo floor jack. It started doing the same thing after 6 months. They swapped it without any questions. I didn't have the receipt and I didn't pay for any extended warrantee. I guess I just have an honest face. :rolleyes:

Don

There are bleed screws & adjustment screws that should have a tag attached to them when these are delivered stating not to touch them. I have seen some of those that weren't tightened before leaving the manufacturer. Maybe check to see if those screws might be a little loose. It's a long shot but may work for you.

What really ticked me off was the unconcerned attitude they had about the problem. I see it as a major safety issue and what we do is use this jack to get the car up high enough to get one of our other jacks under it, then remove the Craftsman jack altogether.

To rub salt into the wound, at the end of the conversations with any Sears rep they would say "Have a nice day, Sir, and thank you for shopping at Sears", even though they had just basically told me to get lost.:mad:

That's ok, they now get zero money from me for any new purchases. But from what I have been reading, K Mart, and Sears holding company is not doing all that well anyway, so they might end up not being around forever. Wonder what that does to my "Lifetime warranty" on the hand tools I own? :rolleyes:

Don

That's ok, they now get zero money from mue for any new purchases. But from what I have been reading, K Mart, and Sears holding company is not doing all that well anyway, so they might end up not being around forever. Wonder what that does to my "Lifetime warranty" on the hand tools I own? :rolleyes:

Don

The warranty goes down the road with the rest of sears! I won't buy anything else from them. Their quality has declined to the extent that they now give you a used rebuilt tool in exchange for your broken item. That's not the quarantee they offered when I purchased the tool!:mad:

There are rumors that Sears is gonna go outta biz! I can't really imagine it but that's the buzz here!

BoB

I wore out a Crapsman vice, yes it is worn out. The threads were the big screw goes in to the base is worn out. It won't tighten up, just spins. So it is a Crapsman and I took it back to Sears and they would not warranty it. Said hand tools only, to which I replied it is a hand tool, you work it with your hand. No Go. So I went else were and bought another vice. I been buying some stuff at Lowes, so far no hassle.

Then there is their cordless drills and stuff. When they first came out they were great and the battery would last about 5 years, now they barely last a year to get out of warranty. And tell me why it is cheaper to buy a whole new set instead of just 2 new batteries?

They gave me the same sad story when I took the jack back, said it wasn't a tool ! HUH, then what is it? :confused: When companies start pulling stuff like that it usually means the end is near. And if we think a big company like Sears could never fold, look at Montgomery Ward, Woolworths, etc. I bet by this time next year we see some real problems at Sears/KMart.

Don

They gave me a rebuilt ratchet from under the counter . Somehow that one broke within 5 minutes after i got home . Sears people don't like me .

I've had the same problem with my rechargable drill and tools. I had a 14volt for years but finally the battery would hold a charge. So I go to get a new one and the one I need is discontinued. So I have several useless 14 volt hand tools.

I buy a 19 volt drill. After about a year that battery is junk so I have to back and get a replacement. It's over ayear and out of warrenty of course!:mad: Fortunatly they still carried that one. But that's the last Craftsman rechargable I'll ever buy.

I have using tape measures from Sears for a long time. They had a lifetime warranty on them, and their lifetime was about 6 months of daily use. So I bought two small 12 footers, a 20 and a 30. I have been trading them out for the last 10 years or so. We wear out the small ones first, wear off the numbers, or loose the brake, or it quits going in all the way. I always said how stupid it was for Sears to include them on the warranty.
So the other day my wife comes back from Sears with a replacement tape.....a Stanley.
Sears ended the life time warranty on tape measures, and replaced it one last time.

Even though I have had 20 or 30 tape measures from the first ones I bought, I still felt ripped off a little. I mean a deal is a deal. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

I wonder about the legality of them just stopping honoring the lifetime warranty. When you bought the item that was the basis you and they agreed to, and it was a contract. For them to now just say the deal has changed seems pretty shakey to me.

But what it boils down to is, who would go to the trouble of suing Sears over one hand tool ? They know that and have tons of Attorneys sitting around, just waiting to handle these things. Once again, the little guy loses. :mad:

Don

My Craftsman floor jack began leaking fluid everywhere about 2 months ago. I took it back to the store and they showed me in the manual I kept in the box that it was only a 1 yr guarantee. Mine was about 5 yrs old, just not very used, certainly not used up. I marched out of the store with the jack, grumbling the whole way.
I have had two cordless drills die and they dont sell the same batteries to fit them anymore. WTF??? The drill is fine, just the battery wont charge. F* em. I found an outfit called WestCoastbattery rebuilders or something similar. I sent them 2 of my batteries and $50 and got back my rebuilt rechargeables with better core batteries than what came in them originally. Still using them 2 years later.
I did collect on a broken 1/2" ratchet about 1970. Had it on the crank bolt of a 327 in my '57 Chevy and a buddy hit the starter. That wrench spun almost 360 degrees and hit the driveway and sheared right off, clean as a pin. Took it back to Sears and the guy didnt bat an eye. "Go grab a new one off the shelf, no charge!" That's how it was SUPPOSED to be all along.

Never had much luck with Craftsman power tools, floor jacks or lawnmowers especially the riders :(
In the cordless department I like Hitachi and Milwaukee with lithium batteries :)

Stay away from anything with electric motors.

My floor jack leaked from new.
Now I also stay away from anything that needs oil.

Don

Latest posts

Back