good double flare tool for steel brake lines

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmontanez

looking for a good double flare kit for flaring steel brake lines. I've tried the rent a tools though local parts stores...they are a pain and do not work..probably cause the lines are steel, ha. not looking to spend a ton of money as i don't see my self flaring a lot of lines but you never know

anyone have experience with an affordable kit, here's what i've found that might work:

37 DEGREE FLARING TOOL FOR STAINLESS STEEL LINE
Price:$129.99 from speedway motors

Blue-Point TF 5 Double Flaring Tool Kit
bout $89 ebay

last resort....

eastwood kit
$200-250

thanks

i have used snap on, matco and cheap versions. the best bang for the buck is going to be a craftsman professional kit. i am not a big believer in modern craftsman tool, but i was highly impressed with the flair kit. it is just as good if not better than the snap on and a fraction of the cost. just make sure it is the professional model. the standard set is crap. if not go for a matco

I have the Eastwoods kit. Found it on the bay for $175 shipped from Eastwoods. It is an awesome kit.

i have used snap on, matco and cheap versions. the best bang for the buck is going to be a craftsman professional kit. i am not a big believer in modern craftsman tool, but i was highly impressed with the flair kit. it is just as good if not better than the snap on and a fraction of the cost. just make sure it is the professional model. the standard set is crap. if not go for a matco

I can second this. The Craftsman professional model is a very nice unit for the money. I have used it extensively for the last 7 years or so and it hasn't failed me yet. The professional model is the beefy one with the smooth polished finish. The standard is the rough cast looking one and yes, it is crap...

Forget "online" and walk into a Sears or a local tool crib. Put some tools in your hands and compare. The computer isn't going to do the work for you.

will the ridgid flare stainless steel or steel?
"Model 345 is a precision designed tool for producing 45° flares in soft copper, brass, aluminum and mild steel (JIC and Bundy) tubing."
I can't answer that cause, I've never done any with it.
The best is to do what BED said, I bought mine from a local company called Springfield Brake.

I have a matco kit, I dont know about the others since I haven't used them but I do know ive used my matco kit alot and have a couple friends that borrow it and like it. I would buy it again if I was ever looking for another one. [cl

No experience with the Craftsman or Matco.... I do know my co-worker's Blue Point is VASTLY superior to my Ultra Pro from NAPA...

Thinking I might grab a Matco set the next time it's "on flyer." :D

DON'T cut corners on brakes or the tools to work on 'em. Not trying to be a *****, just saying "safety first.":cool: Also, incorrectly formed double flares can cause hours of headaches fixing those leaks... Been there, done that...:(

Regards,
Shea:)

Ok just called my local shop, they said they do all the lines which are stainless for $40 beats a tool that I really won't been using alot, plus these guys have experience doing this so I am leaning towards that...thanks everyone for the help

40 bucks to simply flare them right?

I turly hope you have all the lines measured and cut to the right lengths....hate to see you have lines flared and then find out they aren't quite right....just saying....no offense, just puttin in my 2cents... having the tool kind of helps by being handy those type of occasions....JMHO....I cut and I cut and I cut and i'm still too short....LOL :D

Ha I know man...teach me to fish and ill eat for a lifetime. I've measured and cut all the lines and I would love to buy the tool but dam I'm just being cheap I guess

Theres a big difference between Cheap and Thrifty..

Ha I know man...teach me to fish and ill eat for a lifetime. I've measured and cut all the lines and I would love to buy the tool but dam I'm just being cheap I guess

hard to justify buying something that you might only use once in a blue moon....so I know where you're coming from....

You're giving someone $40 to do something once when you could spend a little more and do it yourself forever. Being cheap? I think that's the other way around...

Latest posts

Back