Pontiac Catalina 421 Super Duty

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmw56

Busted and Rusted on Route 66
Saw this Catalina 421 Super Duty today at the Walmart parking lot. Pretty cool muscle car before the so called first muscle car the GTO. I think this is a1962. Not sure if it was original or a clone.

The 421 SD had high compression, big cam, big valves and put out over 400hp.

This one was Hurst Equipped 4 speed.

Came with wide 8 lug wheels and finned aluminum brake drums.

Think that's a '61. If it was a real one I definitely wouldn't leave it unattended in a parking lot. They were raucous rides that would scare the bejezzzzus out of you! If memory serves... the '65 was the fastest production car in the world 0-60 at I believe 3.6 sec! Pretty dang fast for a big ride!!! :eek::eek::eek:

BoBd

Yep 61
I'm a Pontiac freak, cloned or not I love it.
Some came from the factory with aluminum front clips

What a beautiful car! Quick also. I had a buddy that put a 428 Pontiac in a '66 Ford pickup, it was quite the sleeper. When asked what engine he would say 428 then pause and say Pontiac 428

There is just something about those old Pontiacs that gets my heart pumping. I have always liked them. That's a sweet one you found there.

That car brings back memories. Had one in high school. Really surprised a couple of Road Runners.

Those 8 lug wheels may have been some of those cars where the right and left sides tightened and loosened in different directions. A nightmare for a dyslexic 16 year old grease monkey. I occasionally got some of them in the gas station I worked at as a kid and it took 3-4 busted wheel studs to realize it was one of THOSE. The station owner kept a stock of those model lugs and nuts around just for me. (People have taken care of me all my life)

I am loving pontiacs more and more because they are seemingly less sought after and less popular with people who cut up cars for racing and other purposes.

Not sure if that car is a real one

Interesting article on these cars..... 421 Super Duty

b-pontiac-catalina-421-920-6.jpg

Brings back so many memories.:D :cool:
When I was just a kid growing up in Detroit these big old Poncho's ruled the tracks and Woodward Ave as well.
Torchie

Attachments

• 1960PontiacCatalinaRoyalRaceCar.jpg
    1960PontiacCatalinaRoyalRaceCar.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 17

Latest posts

Back