1950 dodge truck tribute to my son

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First time I saw the thread is today, very very sorry for the passing of your son, he would want you to finish it. I am sure he is looking down from Heaven and saying, thanks Dad.

shocks

got the shocks in yesterday, used the old mounts off the 8 3/4 and just U-bolted to the new rearend, real low tech and ugly as sin, bet hey, it's not gonna be seen and it's functional.

now the question;
is the angle on the shocks too step or will they work OK?

Later:cool:

Attachments

• C notch frame and 12 bolt 010.jpg
    C notch frame and 12 bolt 010.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 80
  • C notch frame and 12 bolt 018.jpg
    C notch frame and 12 bolt 018.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 85
  • C notch frame and 12 bolt 026.jpg
    C notch frame and 12 bolt 026.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 76
  • C notch frame and 12 bolt 028.jpg
    C notch frame and 12 bolt 028.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 80
  • C notch frame and 12 bolt 030.jpg
    C notch frame and 12 bolt 030.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 64
  • C notch frame and 12 bolt 009.jpg
    C notch frame and 12 bolt 009.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
changes

weellllllllllllll, shocks are getting moved to the top of the C-notch and then we will have to reset the pinion angle to 2-3 degrees down,

shocks and angles pt 2

reset the pinion angle today, now it is 2% down. had a friend make the shims out of 3/4'' X 3''' solid aluminum stock. he cut them at a 4% wedge shape and that was perfect.

we redid the shock mounts and now there straight up and down. next we are adding a rear-sway bar to help with the body roll in the corners.

put her together, take her apart, put her back together, repeat often as needed:D[;)l

Attachments

• shocks part 2 002.jpg
    shocks part 2 002.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 85
  • shocks part 2 003.jpg
    shocks part 2 003.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 84
  • shocks part 2 001.jpg
    shocks part 2 001.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 85
  • shocks part 2 004.jpg
    shocks part 2 004.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 84
Everything is turning out quite nicely! Really like the new location on the shocks, looks great. [cl

I think most factory setups have them at 25 degrees, but going off what “clamor” posted, you’ve got them right. :D

Sorry I haven’t been able to come up with any of the stuff you’ve needed, but I’ll keep looking.

Keep us posted if any new needs crop up.

From what I've seen shocks are rarely perfectly vertical, but I think that's more due to following the range of motion of the axle than a more 'ideal' position for the shocks.

You could take a statically valved shock & get 'variable valving' out of it by having multiple upper mounting positions, lean it more for less absorbtion.

Get one heavier than you think you're gonna need & lean it over 'till it feels right.
(watch this space for further ratgineering ;-) )
-Chaz

ratgineering

chaz, ya outta wikpidea the '' ratgineering'' word.

l like it:D

can l use your'e word to discribe this set-up to others?

I figure anything posted on a publicly accessable forum is availble for the public to use & abuse.

=D

visior

WOW! THANK YOU SR8!!!!

my sons name is James Robert and this really cool dude in Lebanon, MO. who goes by SugarRay8 made this visior for the truck. he has put time and energy in this and asked for nothing in return, the world needs more people like him. he donated it as his way of helping me finish her. in your'e thoughts, please pass along thanks to him. l believe what go's around come's around (KARMA) and this man has good karma :D

just shows the good kind of people who hang around on this board[cl

Later :cool:

Attachments

• jimmy's visior.jpg
    jimmy's visior.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 112
progress

l've been working trying to get the brakes up to good working order, put on new rear shoes and ran all new lines from the paportioning valve.
have new master cylinder to put on and then start bleeding the brakes.

l went to the parts store, told them what l needed, thru the box of brake shoes in the truck. got home put on one side, reached in the box for the other side and only one shoe[S:confused: shows me with even new stuff, ya need to look and make sure it's all there:eek:

other than that just been fooling around with the odds and ends that always seem to pop-up.

my visior is on it's way here and l will up date on that soon,

Later :cool:

visior

the visior arrived today[cl

it is soooooooo coooooooooollll looking:D

start getting it mocked up an on the truck.

again, thank you SR8,,

Later[dr

Attachments

• AddEmoticons04243.gif
    AddEmoticons04243.gif
    9.8 KB · Views: 349
  • sick.gif
    sick.gif
    50.6 KB · Views: 354
  • tng.jpg
    tng.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 11
garden parts on a rod?

WHEELBARROW;

we used a old wheelbarrow for the fire wall recess. had the right curves and saved a lot of fabbing on making all the bends to fit proper. about half way thru, still have to do the floor pans.

GARDEN HOSE;

old garden hose works great to wrap lines that are not near a heat source. keeps from rubbing holes thru the lines and proctects them from debris hitting and damaging stuff.

Later[dr

Attachments

• dodge truck firewall 001.jpg
    dodge truck firewall 001.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 139
  • dodge truck firewall 006.jpg
    dodge truck firewall 006.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 134
  • dodge truck firewall 002.jpg
    dodge truck firewall 002.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 116
  • dodge truck firewall 003.jpg
    dodge truck firewall 003.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 119
  • dodge truck firewall 004.jpg
    dodge truck firewall 004.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 120
  • dodge truck firewall 005.jpg
    dodge truck firewall 005.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Awesome build man, subscribed and watching. I hope you don't mind, I'll probably steal some ideas for my 52.
I'm very sorry for your loss. As a reverse, I lost my dad just over 3 years ago. We were wrenching buddies, him and I built the 454 I used to race. Miss him dearly, now that I'm older and have close friends with younguns, I couldnt even imagine. Keep up the good work, and if it was myself I'd go red. I love the patina, but as it wa your sons favourite colour, I would do it.

progress

the wheather was decent today:D l got my butt outta the house and did some more work on Jimmy's truck.

drive shaft was moved upward 3'' when we C-notced the rear frame and moved the rear-end to the top of the springs to fix the driveshaft angle, this caused the driveshaft to contact the middle cross member when we bounced on the rear bumper. so to fix the driveshaft travel when the rear-end moves up we C-notched the middle crossmember. the shocks are fine and allow 3-4" travel, which l think is perfect.

we finished the middle cross-member's C-notch to clear the drive shaft travel today. then l spent two hours figuring out that the exhaust still needs some minor tweeking to fit. this weekend my buddy who welds said he hopes to get the driver side cab floor/firewall finished or at least close.

Latest posts

Back