another hobby.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MercuryMac

Builder Junky!
Here's one of the things that I've been doing the last few days.
A friend who helps me with the old tractor newsletter in our Vintage Tractor Club wanted to seed 30 acres. I dug out an old Cockshutt 80 and a Massey-Harris seed-drill' [pic one'] and went to east of Grande Prairie to seed oats. [pic two is backed up to the trailer with mini-bulk bags of seed ready to start loading the drill box.]
Me working, [pic three].

Attachments

• IMG_2452.jpg
    IMG_2452.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2453.jpg
    IMG_2453.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2454.jpg
    IMG_2454.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 49
Love old tractors & there are a lot of them out here & lots of the new expensive ones too! What are you planting oats for? [S

BoB

He's going to cut the oats green and run them through the round baler, to sell as cow feed. I hope he has good luck baling those oats. I remember the first time I round baled greenfeed oats, the tractor was just sweating because oats are heavy and tough. The bales were very heavy.
A couple of guys from the Draft Horse Club dropped by to watch and ask questions. I thought they would maybe want to cut the field with binders and thresh it. They didn't get permission.
I've been hanging around the horse club guys for years, just so I can put a tractor on the threshing machine.

Attachments

• MM U threshing.jpg
    MM U threshing.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 48
The guys around here have already cut and baled their first hay a few weeks ago. I don't grow nothing but weeds and scrub, so I did my first bush hogging a couple of weekends ago. Used the Pa in law's 8N, I haven't even fired up the 55 IH 300 since last fall. I've got to put a kit in the hydraulic pump when I get time.

I have gained quite a bit of popularity rattling around that field. Another guy from the heavy horse club phoned today and said he saw me on facebook and got excited, so he wants me to come to his place tomorrow and the next day. Whoooa! The Fame. Or ----- maybe, my old seed-drill is sought after, and I'll be playing second fiddle.

Oh and Dr. C., we don't seed Alberta Black Oats, we sell them to guys from Saskatchewan.

I have gained quite a bit of popularity rattling around that field. Another guy from the heavy horse club phoned today and said he saw me on facebook and got excited, so he wants me to come to his place tomorrow and the next day. Whoooa! The Fame. Or ----- maybe, my old seed-drill is sought after, and I'll be playing second fiddle.

Oh and Dr. C., we don't seed Alberta Black Oats, we sell them to guys from Saskatchewan.

[cl

That's awesome MM, I love the pictures and the story of using the old seed drill. Growing up on this small farm we used a lot of old stuff so it brings back great memories. Thank you!

Well, I loaded up the seed-drill, the camper and Mrs. Mac. and headed over to the Lofstrom place where I was to help seed about 35 acres into Grizzly oats. These guys wanted nothing to do with my old tractor so I had to be content with my drill being pulled around with heavy horses. Another fellow brought a Cockshutt drill and four paint draft horses. Everything went well out in the field and we were fed well.

Attachments

• lofstroms horse pic.2020.jpg
    lofstroms horse pic.2020.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 42
  • lofstroms horse pic.2020.jpg 1.jpg
    lofstroms horse pic.2020.jpg 1.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 43
  • lofstroms horse pic.2020.jpg 2.jpg
    lofstroms horse pic.2020.jpg 2.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 43
nice pics! I love seeing those heavy horses in action. I used to shoe them... seen the underside so often , my bones still ache thinking about that :rolleyes:

Thanks for the picture changes, Doc. The reason that field was so dusty, is because it was in grass for 60 years and this spring it was disced up many times and harrowed. Some of our guys are still finishing up last years harvest and only a few are finished seeding. It's been horribly wet here since last June. Everybody is a way late this year.
Bam, the guys are dressed inappropriately also.

Thanks for the picture changes, Doc. The reason that field was so dusty, is because it was in grass for 60 years and this spring it was disced up many times and harrowed. Some of our guys are still finishing up last years harvest and only a few are finished seeding. It's been horribly wet here since last June. Everybody is a way late this year.
Bam, the guys are dressed inappropriately also.

Didn't think about that Mac. Doubt there were many hoodies 100 years ago. Maybe some hoods, but not wearing hoodies.:D

DR C, we have a tropical storm headed north, maybe some of that moisture will reach you next week....

Latest posts

Back