'34 Dodge Brothers, double build.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you. I shoot for the 'factory look' sort of. It really disgusts me when I see someone take an old car and weld on a cultivator shovel, coyote trap, or rasp bars of a combine, and call that a ratrod.

End of rant.

Dutch, there are probably a few subsets of ratrods. Primered rat, rusty rat, custom rat, bare tin rat, and slick rat quickly come to mind, but P.O.S. is not in that group. :p
Anyhow, I rebuilt my oil filler tube today. It's custom and not factory.

Attachments

• IMG_3058.jpg
    IMG_3058.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 21
I eventually recognized the original, castiron alternator bracket in my pile of Dodgey stuff, so I cleaned it up and mounted the alternator in the fourth position, [not very different from the third choice]. Here's the mock-up of the intake manifold on there. You won't hear that many people bragging about having a six pack on a Poly, [for a number of reasons], so feast your eyes on this baby.

Attachments

• IMG_3062.jpg
    IMG_3062.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 20
I'm a valve cover guy. Valve covers have to be cool and slightly different. So today I started making my covers. I smoothed out the positive ventilation tube hole on my practice cover [the left one],[the right hand yellow arrow is still to be dealt with], and also cut circles of tin and welded them in on top of the bolt down indentations. [There were three hold down spots on that older cover, [left hand yellow arrow]. [The black central lower arrow is the new, positive ventilation tube].
I'm hoping to cut the left hand cover at the edge of the raised centre area, turn it end for end, and weld it on to the right hand one. ------ Then there will be sparkplug wires to conjure up that come out of the centre of the valve covers.

Attachments

• IMG_3063.jpg
    IMG_3063.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 24
More on the tutorial of making fake Hemi valve covers. I cut one cover lengthways, [pic one] and made the positive ventilation hole disappear in the other one. Sorry about the body filler. I was wondering if I could smooth out my welded up tin, and I forgot that I had a lot more welding to do right near this burnable filler.
Pic two], after some fitting, this is what the valve cover will look like.

I only dragged my Christmas welder out in the middle of the floor and set up the cart, earlier, so this afternoon I worked at setting it up so I could weld up the covers.

Attachments

• IMG_3064.jpg
    IMG_3064.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3065.jpg
    IMG_3065.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 23
I'm not sure what the question is, so ---- .
If it's, "Why are you going to all of that trouble to deceive everyone?", then the answer is, "Because I want to".
If it's, "Will it work?", then the answer is, "I don't know, but I hope so."
If it's, "Why leave one tappet cover complete and weld a partial one to it?" then the answer is, "I didn't change the head so I need the cover to still fit properly and keep the splashing oil in the motor."

Thank you guys for showing interest.

I think I understand, your making a Hemi look a like valve cover that is extended off the side of a complete Poly one.���� you need to show a photo from the underside. ��

Latest posts

Back