Camel Humping

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cycledog

A really rusty biker
Now that I have your attention. Here's what I am dealing with.

My 26 project consists of making two cars I bought into one. An SBC came with one of the cars. According to the casting numbers the block is a 69-73
307 and the heads are 69-70 302/350 64 cc camel humps. If the block is stock bore and stroke is this a good combination? 307s were no prizes. The guy I got it from said it was a 327. But then again he thought the Ford 8" it came with was a 9". I suppose the 307 could be stroked to 327, not sure.

What insights do you engine gurus have.

Its on an engine stand, I've been too lazy to pull one of the heads and check the pistons.

im putting a 307 in my truck i was told that the problems with the stock 307 was the cam was too soft and wore down really fast and not opening the valves all the way thus they had no power

my 307 runs good when i pulled it fron the car its a 1969 block
im gonna replace the stock cam and replace the stock quadrajunk 4bbl intake manifold and get a new carb and it should be a pretty good running motor for its size it was in a 1968 bel-air wagon with a turbo 400 and would smoke the tires with ease my willys truck will be much lighter than that car so i hope to be replacing alot of tires with it and get good gas milage

Cycledog,
reguardless of what anyone may tell you, the 307 is still a 1st Gen Chevy smallblock, all the potiential is still there to build a strong little mouse. As far as the "Camel Hump" heads go, They are awsome only if the total motor package is there and works together.

If you look at it like it is a boat anchor, that is what you will wind up with, a boat anchor.

A 307 has a 327 crank with 283 bore. It's a better combination than, say, a 305. Some can be bored to 4" (327) but may end up with too thin cylinder walls, same as an old school 301.

Thanks guys, I was just curious about the combination. The only experience I've had with 307's was in a 70 Chevelle I had, ran great, but not a lot on the power side. But I suppose in a car that will weigh less than 2,000 pounds it really doesn't matter.

Cycle, here is what ya do, find a good 68-74 350 block and buy 68 327 pistons and have them put on the 307 rods and put crank in 350 WALAAA a 327

Jim

Latest posts

Back