53 Ford flathead 8?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldmule

Colorado, East of the Peoples Republic of Boulder
I'm looking at this engine from a guy, is it worth $600? Engine, tranny and everything in the pic.

I'm not sure if it's a runner or not yet. What is it worth if not the $600?

IMAG0096.jpg

IMAG0098.jpg

Seems reasonable!

Mule,
Seems reasonable to me, looks like it's complete. Does the motor turn over and is a radiator included?

Rattler

OK

Oldmule,
Looks good, know what it came out of? Maybe the princess of darkness will weigh in, if anyone should know it would be her!

ISore

Last edited:
On the back of the motor near the bolt on bellhousing are some casting numbers.
On the top of the block next to the right rear corner of the intake (on the flat surface the intake sits on) are the production date code numbers. They will need to be decoded. I have the link somewhere.

These numbers will help you figure out what you have.

Price sounds good. Problem is if its wrecked inside not worth it in my opinion.

But then again, you're getting the tranny and all the parts.

Its a gamble. :D:D

On the upper edge of the tranny housing where it meets the bellhousing are the tranny numbers. These will tell you what tranny you have.

Your water pumps are truck also.

Let me know if you need the fathead links I have.

Man, I take a day off to pull parts and finish my trailer and I miss all these posts.
The guy bought it out of a truck running, he was going to put it in a rod build he was doing and ended up wanting to go a different way. I'm not sure I can justify the extra 6 hours tacked on to my drive tomorrow to get it..... I'm heading out of state for work and was thinking it would be easy to drop by and check it out, I was wrong......

Anyway, I'm still trying to decide if I want to make him an offer contingent on it turning over. It would look cool in my 30 A, but, a friend is trying to find me a big block Chevy builder right now...... I found a 402 for $350, but it's in pieces.
I hate making decisions like this, it's all too cool to pass up any way you look at it.

Thanks for the help. If I get a wild hair to check it out, I'll let you guys know.

Hey Don,
Thanks for the links, It was good reading. Now I'm even more tempted.....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back