Just scored a SS

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the 904 3spd auto is also dependable...

Mopar is what I have slant six is what I need so I'll just play the cards I'm dealt.

Should I use the auto or not? Having a little trouble with the 3 speed.

I have done a couple of rebuilds on 904's and 727 3spd autos for friends..... easy straight forward overhaul and fairly rugged..... less involved than a 350 or 400 turbo....I'd say with a light car the 904 will work out fine.... jmho
When you say you're having trouble do you mean with using it???

The donor is an everyday driver with an automatic, he's driving it over here tonight sometime. I like the standard but if the auto will give me a lot better mileage I'll use it.

plus I have that big wart on the rear of my tranny called an E brake.

is the kickdown linkage attached?

Tranny howls & gets stuck in first gear, high rpm's will usually kick it out. The rear linkage gets loose all the time

is it howling or whinning because it can't upshift or does it howl all the time? I am assuming that the rear linkage you speak of is the kickdown linkage? High rpm shifts usually mean the kickdown is fully down like you have it to the floor... (passing gear) the howl could be pump or converter.... normally a bad thrust bearing or washer or bushing you can't / don't really hear them normally...... I think the 904's only have the intermediate band adjustment but I might be wrong.... they might have a low reverse band and second/intermediate band as well... can't remember off hand, I'd have to check the book....but I don't think that even relates to your problems....have you had the pan off to look for debris or burned clutch material? Just a few thoughts...... just came to me..... could be a bad planetary section but normally those don't cause anything other than the howl....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back