Is Bigger Too Much???!!! 350HO VS. 454

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jellobox

I'm looking at purchasing a 47 Buick Roadmaster and turning this lovely luxury sleeper into a rod of sorts. I know I can use a Chevy V8 in it but my curiousity is, is a 350 HO big enough to push this love or do I need to go bigger with something like a 454? Please email me and let me know, or repost.

Fotos!

Got any pictures of da beast!?!? Most of those old boats had real torquey motors to move that heavy metal around. A SBC should be able to take care of business but BB's do it even better!

BoB

Back in the "olden days" we put a 265sbc/4speed in a '48 Pontiac 2 door. It pulled it along nicely. Can't argue with a bigger engine, ever, just letting you know that a little one can work.

I hear a lot of car guys talking about how big a motor to use these days.
Gotta think about gas, but it is a big car. I would go big block. I have seen them become cheaper these days and very available as well.

I'm putting a 454 in my Topolino and wild horses and high gas prices couldnt make me change my mind.:D

I have a stock 350 SBC in my 46 Chevy truck and couldnt be happier.

I now have to decide what to power my "new" 37 Ford truck with.:confused:
Gas prices are a large concern as I will be putting quite a few miles on it (daily driver). I have decided against the ecenomical v8-60 thats in it now. Maybe an 8ba flathead or............ electric.:D Seriously considering making it electric!!

Either engine will pull the car along. We put a stock 454 in my dad's 48 Pontiac which is similar to your 47 Buick. The big block fits nicely and my dad is very happy with it. He gets good mileage in it too with a 3.00 rear gear.

I vote big block too. They have a lot more low end torque and that Buick needs that to get it moving. A small block would do it, but they look lost in that cavernous engine room.

Don

I really think that would be your best bet. The 350 will pull that car along just fine. Like a said in the PM this 454 is crazy powerful, so probley not what you need for a cruzer. :D

I really think that would be your best bet. The 350 will pull that car along just fine. Like a said in the PM this 454 is crazy powerful, so probley not what you need for a cruzer. :D

well i am lookin to show and possibly drag later. i'm lookin at buyin two, and one will be an everyday driver.

i wont buy a bb car. too much weight, poor economy, just dont want them unless its in a gasser. slow and low works fine for me.

I needed a new motor in my '69 1-ton Chevy. It had a 327 with a two barrel that was tired. I used it to tow a '62 Nova to the track. Found a 350, balanced the assembly, pocket ported the heads, installed a mild cam and a performer maniflod with a Holley. Towing the Nova on a trailer was a breeze, plus, there was room to sit in the engine compartment for maintenance.

I would only go big block if it was race only.

Big and Small Block Chevys are not the only options. I'd consider a 455 Buick for that car, or maybe something more traditional like a Buick 401 nailhead.

The big Buick motors make lots of torque and will move a big car with finesse, but when you look under the hood it won't be just another Chevy.

Or even modify the staight eight. There is a car running around local to me with a Buick straight eight with a blower on it.

Big Buick

I happen to have a complete '72 Buick 455 out of a Riviera ... for sale.

I like keeping a Buick Buick powered, but it is your car. Ohio isn't too far away for me...

440shorty

Latest posts

Back