GM Engine code????????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ORHotrod

I bought a used 350 Chev today for my A project. Need help with ID any GM Guru's out there. Cast #3970010
#'s under Alt/13K468602 and FO 929 CKL
Intake # 3997771
I would like to know year of motor and HP rating, it wasn't original motor in the Truck I bought it out of.
I searched most of the afternoon off and on can't pen it down. :confused: Thank's

Last edited:
the intake is a 1973 used on all 350 engines , if you can get the cylinder head casting #`s , will tell you better what you have

Thank's for info I haven't pulled valve cover yet will tomorrow spent the day on research and pressure washing it. Look's really good on the outside. The head's are not drilled for accessary so think they are early type.

Double checked letter's are CKL. The Head # is 3884520. That code's out to 327cu in ?? according to MORTEC.com lot's of grit under cover

Last edited:
I found it !!!! its a 1973 350 california emissions engine , and it now has different heads , either 283 or 327 (there will be a pad with the date stamp on it near the rocker arms).... mystery solved , that was fun....

The guy claimed it had even 150 lbs compression. That seemed high but motor was clean on outside like probable rebuild. ??? Is 327 head's a bad thing?? It look's like heck inside valve cover gritty. Head's should be redone or changed. Ring's should be good he said it didn't smoke and was running just before it was pulled. If he is correct on Comp check it may not be a bad one with head work.

Is the 327/283 heads a bad thing? The salvage yard said the motor had 150 lbs comp, and didn't smoke. I think the head's need work because of grit. Or possibly getting 350 head's if you think 327's are bad thing. :confused:

Last edited:
well its a smog motor , and it now has small chamber heads on it so thats prob. why the compression. numbers you have , remember these early heads where built for leaded gas , so they won`t last long with unleaded fuel unless they have hardened exhaust seats installed , and they don`t have the accessory holes in them for the alt. brackets , if it were mine i`d look for a set of 305 heads from the 80`s , casting numbers 14014416 , 14022601 , 14022081 ........... do not buy any heads from a tbi engine , no good to run with a carb

Thank you very much for the input. I usually buy crate motors so don't know much about what work's best. Why 305 instead of 350 head's?? Guess I'll be looking for the 305 heads. Thank's again..:rolleyes:

the 305 heads will bump your compression up about 1 full point since they are small chamber , they give the best performance for low $$$

I'm running 305 Vortec heads on my 350 Vortec. They supposedly give you a little more compression, but might not breath quite as well on top end. intake valves are slightly smaller.

I scored a brand new set, so I couldn't pass them up. :D

Don

Latest posts

Back