Why an SBC vs SBF?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigIrish

Rookied question #27: Why is it most guys use an SBC for their model A rods, but you rarely see a SBF? Is it just that SBCs are cheaper and more plentiful or is there another technical reason they more less suitable?

Ford guys or chevy guys. Availability, more after market parts, history, who knows. Ford engines are fine.
( insert funny poke at fords here) I run both, in different scratch built rides, and there is no real reason. A 289, 302, or 351 can be a sweet power source.

It is much cheaper to build and maintain a SBC, and also much more affordable to "build up". There are also a LOT more vintage speed parts for the SBC, as it is quite a bit older than the SBF. The Ford engine is a couple inches or so longer than the SBC, so that is a factor as well. In the end it really is a matter of preference in your application.

Now for the editorial portion of the post - The Ford engine is just NOT an attractive piece IMO. Frankly I think they are just butt-ugly. Weird valve covers, distributor sticking way up in front and offset exhaust ports that stagger the pipes when you compare left to right. I really think that the aesthetics of it also come into play, since in the majority of hot rods the engine is at least partially visible.

Performance may be comparable, but the Ford doesn't cut it in the bang-for-your-buck power department and definitely misses the mark looks-wise...

P0002436.jpg

That's a pretty nice looking crate engine, if you've got the loot. I see somebody sprung for the aluminum GT40 heads as well. We have installed the same engine in two different hot rods at the shop (at the customer's request)- a '32 three window and a '31 roadster on '32 rails. Both brookville bodied cars and high $$$. The only difference was they both sprang for the dual quad endurashine intake (more $$$) which also has to be machined to work with the GT40 heads (more $$$!)

All that and still, when you put on that big clunky Ford water pump assembly and distributor it just kills it looks-wise. I know it's pretty and shiny and all, but it still doesn't do anything for me personally in the looks department. Just my $.02

I have run both, and have to say I really see little difference in performance, reliability, or looks. In fact, I think pretty much every American engine built is pretty good, and I especially like those from the pre-90's. (however. my 350 is a 99 engine and as good as they come.

Chevy engines can generally be built a lot cheaper. Parts are all over the place new and used, whereas Ford stuff on the used market is pretty hard to come by comparitively. Fords are narrower, but also longer, which can present some clearance issues, but those can be overcome.

So I guess the reason there are more Chevy engines is availability, availability of parts, cost of parts, and brand preference. I have to admit I never had to make any excuses when I ran a 302 Ford in my 27, but on my 23 when someone asks me what engine I have I sheepishly say "just a 350 Chevy." It is sort of like my car is just like 3,000,000 other rods, but I do love the way the motor just keeps running and running with no upkeep.

Don

Until the '90s, Ford stuff for street rods, like headers and mounts,
was hard to find if it was even available.

The whole aftermarket was based around the Chevy motor.

So Chevy stuff is easy to find, and priced lower,
because of volume and competition.

when someone asks me what engine I have I sheepishly say "just a 350 Chevy." It is sort of like my car is just like 3,000,000 other rods,

Tell them it's a 283.
Most of them will be impressed.

The 350/350 became so painfully common
because it is a practical combination.
Things evolved that way for a reason.

Now people want the oddest, most obsolete, stuff they can find.

Until the '90s, Ford stuff for street rods, like headers and mounts,
was hard to find if it was even available.

The whole aftermarket was based around the Chevy motor.

So Chevy stuff is easy to find, and priced lower,
because of volume and competition.

I got to agree with you there. Which is funny because the motor mounts are SB Ford to Jeep CJ and the headers are SB Ford to Jeep cj fenderwell header.

Friend of mine wanted a sbf in his Model A,
back when parts were not available.

So he needed custom engine and trans mounts, custom headers, custom firewall.
The floor kit was made to suit a sbc, so it didn't fit, etc...

This added considerably to the cost of the project.
Very expensive when you are paying someone else to do it.

Sometimes the path of least resistance is a good idea.

Latest posts

Back