Ford 9" rear end

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZRodDave

Forgive the newbie. I tried some google search, but didn't really find out much.

So, ... what's so good about a Ford 9"? I can get one super cheap ($60), but I'm mainly a Chevy guy.

Is it simply for the strength? Or is there some other benefit ... TIA.

A lot more than strength. The removable center section makes it easier to change gears, for one thing, than the way you have to put gears into a GM housing. Another thing is cosmetics, 8 and 9 inch rears are "prettier" from the back than most other rear axle assemblies. A lot of 8 and 9 inch assemblies only had spring pads on them, so they are easier to clean up as far as removing brackets for hot rod use.

The other factor is that they do not have C clips that hold the axles in, they have plates on the ends of the axle that you simply unbolt and then pull the axle out. Parts are also more available, although some of those are drying up at the dealerships. The aftermarket still has them though.

They are also not all that heavy compared to how strong they are.

You will want to be careful on that one for $60, Ford used these in everything from Mustangs to trucks, and the width varies a lot. Just make sure it isn't too wide for your purposes.

Don

To add to what Don said, you want to make sure it's a 9" and not a 8". Easy to mistake them, but a sure fire way to identify them is that on the row of bolts that hold the diff chunk in, there will be one on the very bottom that you cannot take off with a socket wrench, you would have to use a box end wrench to get it off. On a 8", you can use a socket on all the bolts.

Also, to my knowledge, Ford never made a 4 lug 9". All were 5 lug, some have the big 5 on 5.5" pickup pattern, others will have the 5 on 4.5 " car pattern.

I've seen many 8"s trying to be passed off as 9"s to unsuspecting or unknowing buyers by unknowing or dishonest sellers.

if it is a truck rear end make sure it is a 9" and check to see that you can get the wheels you want in that bolt pattern. if it isn't the right bolt pattern you can have the axle flanges redrilled, then the drums. but thats another added expense.

from what ive gathered over here in New Zealand...

the Australian holden Commodores were sold as a Pontiac in the U.S. and used as law enforcement cars. ( ?? ) .

now it has been said over here that if you can get an early commodore solid diff housing - frame number / model is VP - the the axles can be swapped out for 9" axles.

the diff turns out to be as tough as a 9" ford stud, - easier and cheaper to rebuild ..

I cant say im sure that the aussie export cars by then had switched to independent rear ends by then?

could be worth a look ??

The last great 'Pontiac"

from what ive gathered over here in New Zealand...

the Australian holden Commodores were sold as a Pontiac in the U.S. and used as law enforcement cars. ( ?? ) .

Pontiac sold these as the GTO, and not for very long before they closed the doors on the brand. A shame, really. From what I know, they were/are an excellent modern hotrod! Would I want one? HELL YES !!! :D

I prefer a Dana 60 myself, much stronger than a 9" and less money to build. No need for special cases and pinion supports. Now the guys are gonna say its easier to change centers, well when they don't break there is no need to work on them.

If I had a line on a $60 Ford 9", I'd grab it and stick it in the corner for a project down the line.

That's what I was thinkin' ...

If I had a line on a $60 Ford 9", I'd grab it and stick it in the corner for a project down the line.

Not that I don't have enough junk already, but ya just never know when these sort of deals come along, and when you just might need it later! :)

Latest posts

Back