Shorten a 1937 torque tube type driveline?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goose-em

Has anybody done this? Can it be done?

This is on a 37 GMC with the 37 chevy trans and rear end. Drive line has front u-joint inside tranny, no rear u joint.

I want to take out 23 inches, any ideas?

Oh yeah I don't want to uprgrade to anything new I like my old rearend and driveline.

I'm going to be doing this pretty soon with a Ford torque tube setup I am getting, but not sure how the Chevy one differs. On the Ford you just take a big pipe cutter (or lathe if you have one) and cut out the appropriate amount from the flattest part of the outer tube, then you cut off the flange on one end of the inner shaft and after removing the correct amount you reweld it on. Speedway sells a kit to do the flange routine.

I hope someone is able to tell you about a Chevy setup. If not on here, you might want to ask on the HAMB, but just don't use the words RAT ROD!! :eek::DTell them you are building a hot rod and want to do it TRADITIONAL. :)

Don

Thanks, I think the set up is very similar between the Ford and the Chevy. I was thinking along the same lines, cut and weld.

It is only metal after all and worst case I have to get a new drive line right?

it must of bin done i havent yet(but im sure i will) you need to keep it 100% straigt.

large pice of angel iron should help with that

Latest posts

Back