auto to manual in 27 coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustycarr

ive recently bought a 27 ford T coupe, it has a 260 v8 with a c4 tranny. Id rather have a stick in a hot rod. I guess the only thing i gotta do is decide on a 4 or 5 speed and how to hang a clutch. anyone done this? any suggestions or pictures? thanks in advance.

I'm running a 260 with a stickshift, but it isn't finnished yet. I built my own pedals and linkage but I started out with a standard shift set up. Remember the early small block Fords have a different bell housing, I think they changed around 65 or 66 so you have the early 5 bolt.
I am going with a T5 to simplify the shift linkage and to have overdrive.
Watch ebay for everything you need, I have seen the complete set up go pretty reasonable.
You might also want to consider a juice clutch, that avoids having to build linkage.

Although not as tight in the firewall as a '23 T, the '27's are not huge up there either. I have a 302/stick in my '27 on a Model A frame, and it was a little tough engineering it to fit. I used a toploader 3 speed with Hurst linkage, and a '66 Chevy master cylinder under the floor to operate the brakes and hydraulic clutch. I drove it for 7 years this way, and it was fine. Here is a picture of the frame that might help you out.

Don

my27topview-3.jpg

I used a slave cylinder on the bellhousing, but if I were doing it today I would use one of the hydraulic throwout bearings, much cleaner and easier to install.

Don

Latest posts

Back