To keep or not?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danimal

I am working on a 47Ford Deluxe, it has the old banjo rearend. I have a ford nine inch I can use out of a 78 ford pickup. Would it be better to use the original rearend and just buy the torque tube conversion kit to convert it over to a open drive shaft or just use the 9 in? The 9 in is 6 inches wider.

Thats a lot wider ... maybe find a maverick or mid size car to get rear end out of it ... should be a lot closer to the width. even a 5 lug toyota pick-up has the same wheel lug pattern as the ford car . just a thought ..

Depends on what your plans are for the car. Makes a big difference.

You would certainly have to have the 9 inch narrowed, or sell it to fund a suitable width rear. A 8" is a good choice for fat fords, fairly common and affordable.

What is going to be supplying the power to the rear end? If it is not a monster, save the nine for a big power project.

Depends on how you want to use the car. If you plan on driving it a lot you will be much better off putting a modern rear under it. You have to remember the banjo under it is now 67 years old and parts do wear out in time. Plus, you will get an open driveline and much better brakes.

I plan on putting a better rear under my 46 when I get around to working on it.

Don

Latest posts

Back