Clearance Issue

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinman

OK Guys,

Got the '37 in the garage and gutted. I swung the mustang motor in place with the 5 speed tranny. It looks like it needs to go back 3-5 inches.

First issue:
Heads hit the firewall. No biggie, I will just open it up.

Second Issue:
Transmission tail housing is hitting the center of frame. Again, I can cut that open but it looks like it should be boxed back in.

Third Issue:
The oil pan is in to the cross member for the front spring. No clearance for the radiator.

If everything goes back 3-5 inches, I think I will have room. I need to talk to anyone that has put a small block ford into one of these chassis. I do not want to light the torch and start cutting.

Any input would be Greatly Appreciated!

Thanks,
Vince

Never did one, but have some knowledge of Ford engines. Which pan do you have, old style front sump or late model rear sump?

On the cross member, is this an X style cross member? If it is, they make a kit, you cut out the center of the old one, and bolt or weld in the new pieces. I think most are designed for Chevy transmissions, but it should be easy to adapt to the Ford.

As to the firewall, you might want to pick up a cheap wheelbarrow to make a new firewall out of. Yes, a wheelbarrow. They are almost the perfect size for a neat recessed firewall. A little trimming of yours, and the wheelbarrow will fit right in.

thanks ..that is a cool idea for the firewall..when I first read your reply ..I thought ..a wheelbarrow....but when I looked at 1 ,,that will look real slick thanks mam[cl

Latest posts

Back