1952 Chevy COE ramp truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
appreciate you taking all that snow this year:D

LOL Todd. We are only 4" over our average of 61.4" for the year. Problem is we have had over 40" of it in the last 3 weeks...Another 8-12" today...possibly another 10-12" on Tuesday...

Tire size - I have seen them running on 1 ton chevy chassis with the 16" bud wheels. Most people tuck the fender edge a little to reduce the wheel opening. One plus is I have 14 rims and tires in the 16" size from the ramp truck and another 85 chevy wrecker I parted out. I could run a 215/85/16 for a larger radius. 2nd option is to scare up a set of 8 lug 19.5 bud wheels from a motor home or P42 bread van. They are a bit more rare but get the radius a little closer to the original 20" rim and tire combo. 3rd option is to re-work the center of the COE wheels to fit the 8 lug hubs (Ala CORPO style in his build) I have 12 of the original 20" rims to play with.

Really only makes since to do what I did if your a weirdo like me and are trying to use the original axles... Or at least parts of them anyway

Glad to see u got it home. If u decide its to far down that list of projects u have ill come get it from u!

Really only makes since to do what I did if your a weirdo like me and are trying to use the original axles... Or at least parts of them anyway

Glad to see u got it home. If u decide its to far down that list of projects u have ill come get it from u!

I just might resemble that remark...[cl

I have found 19.5 8 lug P30 steel van wheels. Also there is an aluminum aftermarket wheel with the same configuration. I was also looking at the 22.5 rims with the conversion adapter. Not sure I need a 40" diameter wheel and tire combo...

I just might resemble that remark...[cl

I have found 19.5 8 lug P30 steel van wheels. Also there is an aluminum aftermarket wheel with the same configuration. I was also looking at the 22.5 rims with the conversion adapter. Not sure I need a 40" diameter wheel and tire combo...
Sure you do...;)
When I first lowered my old 68 GMC all I had was a set of 31x10.50 off of a 4x4 to roll it around on and it actually looked kinda cool. Made the truck sit a little higher than I wanted it to, but it tucked alot of tire.

These are two pics from the internet. The first is a very good representation of how it will look. Not a fan of side pipes or the TT unit fuel tank though. The second is with what I think is around a 20" or 22" wheel with an adapter.

Attachments

• coe 1.jpg
    coe 1.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 105
  • coe2.jpg
    coe2.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 103
that second one is great.. if memory serves hes somewhere in Sweeden.. theres photos of him dirt track racing it! crazy sweeds! [cl

that second one is great.. if memory serves hes somewhere in Sweeden.. theres photos of him dirt track racing it! crazy sweeds! [cl

Yea I read his build thread. It also explains the weird sized wheel with only 8 lugs on a large pattern... Some kind of Lory wheel I'm sure:D

SO I have been reading (dangerous I know!) about people taking the 22.5 aluminum semi wheels and machining them to accept 22" SUV tires. All that mathematical and machining nonsense aside I also started looking at the weight rating of tires. The 87 Chevy ramp truck came with 215/85/16 E load tires X 6. The load rating of each individual tire is 2680 lbs or 16,080 lbs for the truck or 10,720 lbs on the rear axle. Looking at the 22" SUV tires they are rated at 2601 lbs per tire X 6 for 16,606 lbs for the truck or 10,404 lbs for the rear axle.

Thoughts on issues running the 22.5" rims turned down with the 22" tire as far as running the truck loaded?

This would give me a 32.5" diameter as opposed to the 41" diameter of the semi tires. Also about 75 lbs / tire lighter.

Well the above specs were for 275/45/22 tires. When I looked at the 305/45/22 tires the weight rating jumped up to 2900 lbs per tire. Guess I answered my own question...LOL

Last edited:
Running the turned down semi rims sounds like a good plan to me

Look at this thread that magically appeared. :cool:

Lol! Presto!:D

You have a lathe that big? Sounds pricey if you don't.

My lathe only has a 16" throw so I'll either have to chuck it up on the side of my bridgeport on the turn table or make up a powered spindle and tool holder just to do them. Most of the places charge $150 / rim to turn them. I'm friends with the fleet maintenance guy at a large logging operation in the next town over. He says they are due to run their fleet of 35 big rigs through the state inspection this month and will probably have 6 rims that are not serviceable for the road on the big trucks. The rims are made for 100K lb big trucks so I have plenty of material to work with on my little 14K lb rig... More waiting...[P

Latest posts

Back