Float

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

53 stickfigure

I cant figure out why my float keeps sticking. Rebuilt the carb, new tank and line. Starts up fine, runs for about 30 mins and have to tap the bowl to unstick it. About 10 mins later it does it again. Cant figure out why? Everything is new and clean.

Did you put the little wire clip in that goes between the float and the needle? And also check the float drop. There should be a tab on the float to set the drop. If it drops too far it can cause the needle to cock in the hole. Hope this helps.

Thanks but tried that. At idle and light reving its fine. Really rev it to a point the fuel drops and it stays down. Not too far down but enough to load up.

Its a l barrel rochester. I took it apart again last night and took a Q tip and metal polish and polished the needle and seat. Im gonna put it back on after work and see what it does. Parts ain't what they used to be.

Speaking of that, i went into a parts store to get brake lines once and the boy at the parts counter said, "make sure to put teflon tape on all your lines." Where do they find these people? What was i talking about? Oh yeah, polishing the needle and seat and alittle marvel mystery oil fixed it. It might never happen again but from now on, it dont cost anything but about 30 minutes, im going to do this.

These rubber tips they stick on the needle these days have caused me troubles, I think the ethanol softens them. The wire to the float helps from sticking shut.

Old Iron, I don't use Teflon tape, but for a different reason. Although I agree with your reasoning. I'm just dyslexic enough to never be able to wrap the tape the right way around a fitting, so I have to use Teflon paste and a brush.

Teflon is for pipe fittings.

I've never tried it, but maybe a little Marvel, or two-stroke oil in your gas might help. If you wanna burn some two-stroke oil, get the synthetic stuff, not because it's better, but it stinks like a polecat and nobody will "tailgate". :)

Latest posts

Back