How many people are using TIG's?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustybeercan

Never met a beer he didn't like!
I've been using a MIG for quite a while and wondered if it was worth investing in a TIG machine! Your thoughts? [S

Beercan

I still use my mig for quick fixes and things that are large projects but on bike frames and finish work wear I canget the weld area clean and its showing, I use my syncrowave..different metals, copper aluminum, brass tig is theway to go

I have not bought a tig for home use as we have one at work, I find it very helpful, especially if you are trying to do a show car or cleaner welds with less spatter...

In my opinion, mig is like a chain saw, and the tig like a scalpel, both are very useful in their own right.

Tigs are great if you have the patience. For me it's taken a ton of practice and I'm still not very good at it. There's a titainium bicycle company next door to my shop. So when I need a real good tig weld done I ask their welding dude to stop by and use our Tig to do it.

TIG... a very good way to fly particularly on the smaller detail stuff and non-ferrous metals. If you are going to buy one though DON"T GO CHEAP. Buy a good Miller or Lincoln machine at least 200 amp / 250 preferred or you will be disappointed when you start to weld aluminum. Also.... before you buy... make sure you have the power to run it. My Miller DX250 needs a 70 amp service on 240VAC to run it on full bore.

Latest posts

Back