28 Fast Four build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great Dozer.😎
Did some cleaning in my shop as well but not as deeply as you.
And then I turned around and made some more sawdust🙀
Torchie

Thanks Torchie, ya I did the same thing yesterday made a heck of a mess in the clean shop.

Really nice job on those pipes Dozer.

Thanks Bill

Pipes look great like everything else, you really have managed to stuff 10 lbs into a 5 lb bag !

Thanks ZZ ya it's really tight I'm hoping there are no rattles once it all settles in.

Lookin real Good there[cl 1step closer cant imagine how exited you must be to drive it, hope the engine goes well for ya

Yesterday was was a really long interesting day to say the least. Headed out to the shop at 445 am just before the sun came up to pull the 440 out of the car for tear down, it should have been an easy 2 hour job :rolleyes: Seems that the guy that engineered the transmission mount wasn't firing on all 8 that morning, plus it was two years ago almost to the day. Anyhow the sliding tray that the trans mount is bolted too slides alright, just not in the right direction. Turns out it has a taper to it that get wider at the back so pulling the motor and trans forward got it stuck in the X member now that in itself would not be a problem if the car was on the ground but it was on the hoist, the motor is pulled up and ahead 6 inches I can't push it back or let it down and I can't get under the car cuz the hoist is on the floor so then the dance began, lift the hoist 4 inches lift the engine lift 4 inches till I hit the first lock on the hoist which is at 20 inches. Oh and while I'm doing this trans fluid is running out the tail stock all over the clean floor. Then I had to try and support the trans on blocks to get the 5"long mount bolt out, once that was out I was able to complete the job almost without incident.;) only one black fingernail.

Once I had the motor out, trans separated and the engine on the stand I got it tore down. Real happy with what I found in there it was pretty sludgey, and a ton of carbon build up ( must have been a little old man that had the Newyorker) but a very low mileage motor. Very little cylinder wear,a couple have a few marks from condensation that will hone out, the mains and rod bearing look great. I'm going to plasigauge the bearing, deglaze the cylinders put in new rings and call that part good. The only surprise I found was the cam bearings they don't look worn but there are large parts of the babbit material cracked off and missing on all five of them[S

attachment.php

The mount that caused all the mayhem

attachment.php

The mess

attachment.php

attachment.php

The front cam bearing the rest are the same.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Resize of Mess 001.jpg
    Resize of Mess 001.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Resize of Mess 002.jpg
    Resize of Mess 002.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Resize of Mess 003.jpg
    Resize of Mess 003.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Resize of Mess 004.jpg
    Resize of Mess 004.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Resize of Mess 005.jpg
    Resize of Mess 005.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Resize of Mess 006.jpg
    Resize of Mess 006.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 49
Your adventures made me laugh Dozer (because I can relate!). This is where the old, "no good deed goes unpunished" fits - you did too good of a job cleaning up the shop! Lol. I'm glad you found very few issues inside of the big 440.

Now that's a video I'd love to watch....[ddd:D;)

Never fails 2hr job turning into all day happens more often than not [S
Glad you got things going your way now....shop still looks good

Into each life a little ATF must fall, or something like that. Breaking everything down is a milestone event. Now comes the satisfaction of reassembly. This has been a great build to watch.

yeeeowch!

atf is just really detergent motor oil, so dont look at it as a spill, look at it as CLEANING and SEALING the floor haha [cl[cl[cl[cl

cam bearings look... fun!

Any idea what would cause the cam bearings to do that? Improper factory install, maybe. Seems they worked anyway. :confused:

Skip, The 440 I used out of a motor home had the same issues with the cam bearings! I heard all kinds of hair brained ideas as to what caused it and decided "it is what it is", threw them in the trash and never gave it another thought. KEEP HAMMERING ON IT!:cool::cool:

Into each life a little ATF must fall, or something like that. Breaking everything down is a milestone event. Now comes the satisfaction of reassembly. This has been a great build to watch.

Thanks Bob, yup it's seems Like ATF is one of those things that just have to spill.

Your adventures made me laugh Dozer (because I can relate!). This is where the old, "no good deed goes unpunished" fits - you did too good of a job cleaning up the shop! Lol. I'm glad you found very few issues inside of the big 440.

I had a good laugh when it was over as well Bill, I should know better than making a plan. :D

Now that's a video I'd love to watch....[ddd:D;)

Never fails 2hr job turning into all day happens more often than not [S
Glad you got things going your way now....shop still looks good

My intent was to film the removevale, needless to say I got a little busy and forgot about that. :eek:

yeeeowch!

atf is just really detergent motor oil, so dont look at it as a spill, look at it as CLEANING and SEALING the floor haha [cl[cl[cl[cl

cam bearings look... fun!

There ya go, I was just carrying on the cleaning, cam bearings I will probably farm out.

Any idea what would cause the cam bearings to do that? Improper factory install, maybe. Seems they worked anyway. :confused:

I had an old engine builder come over to look at it and his thoughts were that on a start after sitting for a long time maybe years the cam had glued itself to the bearings and when it turned it cracked all the babbit free.

Skip, The 440 I used out of a motor home had the same issues with the cam bearings! I heard all kinds of hair brained ideas as to what caused it and decided "it is what it is", threw them in the trash and never gave it another thought. KEEP HAMMERING ON IT!:cool::cool:

Maybe and issue with the material they used on those bearings.

Looks like those cam bearings were helped in with a chisel. You can see strike marks along the edges of the cam bearings...no wonder they went to pieces.

Glad you got that difficult pull done with just one black fingernail. Tear down inspections are a good thing. [P

Thanks BMan

Looks like those cam bearings were helped in with a chisel. You can see strike marks along the edges of the cam bearings...no wonder they went to pieces.

I took the block to the machine shop for a bath and the new cam bearings. The owner said he has seen that lots on old Dodge engines that have sat for long periods of time. [S

A little update on the 440 for the Dodge, I got everything tore apart and inspected. The block is off to the Machine Shop for a bath, cam bearing and frost plugs. The crank looks good and polished up real well. The pistons look good and I will replace the rings. For some reason who ever installed the oil rings lined up the gaps on all rings on 5 of the 8 pistons, so I think I found the reason for all carbon oil build up on everything.
The heads are a mess and will have to be replaced, they are the worst casting number Dodge put out and aren't worth the $1000-1200 price tag to rebuild them. My middle son is into cars" I'll forgive him imports" and put out a request on a facebook car site he is on and a fellow came through right away with a couple sets of heads I can maybe get for a good price.

Here's a video of the findings. https://youtu.be/oe9wfVaXR40

Latest posts

Back