Wood is good.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just caught up on this.. looks like a ton of work.. keep at it!

And it seems like every board I take off adds a ton more CORPO......[ddd

You are one talented bugger.

Thanks kenny. At this point more persistent then talented though.......:D

Got the PS chine removed this morning. I had to cut thru 3 of the bolts but not damage the wood behind them so I used the favorite wood workers tool.....A hack saw. :eek: Glad the bolts were brass.
With the chine removed I can get to all the former repairs done to the frame knees and deconstruct them with no damage to the hullside frames.
The pic of the end frame with the crack in it most likely started at the factory when they built the boat and then spread by following the grain as the years went by.
Thanks for visiting....
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_3401.JPG
    IMG_3401.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3395.JPG
    IMG_3395.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3396.jpg
    IMG_3396.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3381.jpg
    IMG_3381.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3382.JPG
    IMG_3382.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3397.jpg
    IMG_3397.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3393.JPG
    IMG_3393.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 12
You have patience I'll never have.

Will there be any steaming involved? I see compound curves... here, there and everywhere...

Yes there will be steaming good DR. :D
The chine that I just removed will have to be steam bent when replaced. On the 18 footer they were one piece but as it is darn near impossible to get that long a piece of Mahogany any more I will scarf together 2 pieces. I may use white oak for that as well.
On the bottom, the first 2 planks closest to the keel at the bow end will get steam bent as well as the top 2 rows on the hull sides at the bow.
I have steam bent wood before as the last Boat I did was a Thompson and all the frames were steam bent.
Torchie

The more you look. The more you find.....

45 and sunny here today so I got out to the shop and removed the SB side chine. It is in better shape the the PS but I will be replacing both anyway.
The pic with all the rotted wood showing is the lower transom bow. It is the bottom framing that the transom cover boards attach to. A well known spot for rot. And this one is no exception.
Thanks all.......
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_3411.JPG
    IMG_3411.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3409.JPG
    IMG_3409.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3408.JPG
    IMG_3408.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3412.JPG
    IMG_3412.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I would not even know where to begin on a build like that.... [S

LOL.....
I stopped by the shop of a well known boat restorer in my area today and the first words out of his mouth were..."you finished that boat yet." My reply was that I wish I was back working on a car.....:D
Torchie

Good thing you are taking pictures Torchie, so many pieces there it would be hard to remember where they all go!

Easy to see why wooden boats get trashed when they get old. I never really thought about there being so much work in putting one together.

Will it see water this year?

Good thing you are taking pictures Torchie, so many pieces there it would be hard to remember where they all go!

Easy to see why wooden boats get trashed when they get old. I never really thought about there being so much work in putting one together.

Will it see water this year?

Not unless it gets left out in the rain bama......:D [ddd
Even working on it full time with all the supplies at hand it would be a 6 months job????
I am surrounded by some of the countries finest wooden boat shops. Most of them are one or two people operations and they tend to work on more then one boat at a time so they jump from boat to boat to allow for things like drying time for glues. Soaking wood prior to bending. Drying time between coats of finish and things like that. So it's really hard to get a handle on a time frame for a full on restoration.
I think the shortest time I can recall was a mop and glow job (That's restorers lingo for a strip. Stain and re-varnish only) that a friend of mine had done years ago. And they managed to push that out in about a month and it seemed like the varnish was still soft when we picked it up.....:eek: [ddd
Most people like us that do our own work just kind of pick away at it. Not unlike many RRR builds. It's all about time and money.....LOL
Torchie

I can see it taking a while. Really have to have a love for it to see it through to completion, a lot like building a car for sure.
Keep on screwin' around! :D[ddd

Making some expensive saw dust today....

....as well as removing the keel.
And yes. That is a chunk of bondo........:eek: [S :D
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_3432.JPG
    IMG_3432.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3426.JPG
    IMG_3426.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3434.JPG
    IMG_3434.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3423.JPG
    IMG_3423.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3421.JPG
    IMG_3421.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3419.JPG
    IMG_3419.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 12
I learned wood working in high school way before I learned I preferred metal. But I still have a soft spot for wood work. These old CCs are beautiful. I am looking forward to watching rest of this project. [cl

I learned wood working in high school way before I learned I preferred metal. But I still have a soft spot for wood work. These old CCs are beautiful. I am looking forward to watching rest of this project. [cl

Took my first shop class in Junior High Skip ( I don't think they even call it that any more.:D ) and it was wood shop. Been messing with it ever since......
Some one asked what I liked working on better. Wood boats or old cars and I told them that I bought my first old car when I was 14 and my first wooden boat when I was 18.:D
Its' fun to be able to go back and forth but I'm still on the hunt for a car/truck project. Maybe by this spring.
Torchie

Screwed. Glued and might as well be tatooed....

Started to take off the bottom frames this to get patterns to make new ones. I started with what looks to be the worst one first.
Pic 1-2 The green tape shows what is the original frame parts. All the rest has been added on and is indeed screwed. Glued and bolted.:eek:
I need to at least salvage the og parts as they will be needed for patterns as well as not wanting to have to replace all the side frames as that would require a total plank removal.
This boat is the gift that keeps on giving......[ddd
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_3437.JPG
    IMG_3437.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3439.JPG
    IMG_3439.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3449.JPG
    IMG_3449.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3451.JPG
    IMG_3451.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3452.JPG
    IMG_3452.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3445.JPG
    IMG_3445.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3454.JPG
    IMG_3454.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3447.JPG
    IMG_3447.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3453.JPG
    IMG_3453.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 11
I'm starting to think you may have been better off dissassabling it and using it for patterns for an all new boat.

LOL you are not far off kenny. And that is what many boat shops would do.....
But since there are not labor charges involved with this build I will spend the extra time to salvage all that I can. Once I pulled the bottom off it was a no brainer that it would need new bottom frames. I would prefer to save as many of the topside(Hull side ) frames as possible.
A real shop would weigh the cost of time /new wood / make new pieces vs time to salvage the old usable wood. And go with new, for as expensive as the Mahogany is. Their time/labor is even more so......
But hey..... I'm not a real boat shop.....[ddd :D
Torchie

I was only teasing you. I understand the free labor as opposed chargable shop time thing. We have this argument in my shop quite often. You are doing a fantastic job.

You might not be a real boat shop but you certainly have the knowledge and skills to be.
[P[P

Thanks Dozer. I am in an area surrounded by some of the best wooden boat restorers there are. I know many of them and when I watch them do this work I find myself learning something new every time.
I consider myself strictly a hobbyist but I do my best.

I was only teasing you. I understand the free labor as opposed chargable shop time thing. We have this argument in my shop quite often. You are doing a fantastic job.

No worries kenny....:D
My wife has said the same thing many times already......[ddd
Most pro shops would tell you it is cheaper to make a new piece rather then repair an old one. And less problematic in the long run.
In truth. If done correctly these boats are rebuilt better then when they were new.
Torchie
Torchie

Latest posts

Back