28 Sedan

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vht

Going to start a build thread, been working on this for 6 mths. I'll get more pics this evening, I'll start with a pic of what I started with, looks way better in the pic than it was.Right now I'm having problems posting pics, this new lap top is being a pain. I'll get it figured out this evening.

20180618_150419.jpg

I wanted to make sure the pics would work, everything is different with this lap top. I bought this car as seen in the first pic. Who ever built it didn't have a clue. It had a 430 buick motor and a 375 trans, sold them. Air bags in the rear, the welds looked like a 10 yr old done them. Everything was cut with a torch. I stripped it down and cut all the chassis out but saved the front horns. The chop was terrible, I think I got most of it straightened out. The windshield frame was welded, siliconed and you name it. Bought a new alum frame. I built the chassis and then done most of the body work with the body off. I then set the body, shell, on and started building the floor frame work, aligning the doors as I went. The 9 inch was to wide and set 3 inches off to one side. I narrowed it 4 in on 1 side and centered the pinion, installed a pos unit and 3.25 gears with new 31 spline axles. Disc are going all the way around. I had a friend build a 350 turbo, Coan parts and deep pan. I have a 030 over 427 BBC going together, 425 HP steel heads, 650 lift hyd roller, H beam rods, JE pistons, steel crank. Dummie block is in it with the intake and carbs I'm running. Also have a champion alum rad, the fuel cell and battery sets in the rear in a rack that unbolts and comes out so I can remove the body. Got more done, just need to get more pics.

I've also bought a couple "complete" cars, then took them completely apart and started over to fix the mess. It looks like you're well on your way. That thing should run really well... :D

It should, the motor is low comp, built for boost. I had a blower set up but had the chance to make a grand off it and sold it. It'll be around 9.5. I forgot to mention that the guy also owned a dull hachet. He used it to cut the firewall out.

A little more progress today after I got through working on other peoples junk. Made the front and last body mounts, no pic, and finished up some of the metal in the rear.20181128_180335_001.jpg

The way to build one of these cars would be to buy a restored one. When I was looking I seen several for $10,000. If it was a nice hot rod, $25000 and up. You could get a big chunk of your money back by selling what you don't need. Friend of mine sold junk front and rear fenders, running boards and a really rough hood off a 30 A he bought for $800. 4cyl bangers, trans and rear ends are selling for top dollar, I wouldn't want one but that crap sells. I can't understand why people build flat head V8"s, cost a fortune to get maybe 200 HP if that.

Hey you guys, I resemble that. I have just paid a fortune to rebuild a flathead and am hoping for 150 horsepower.

But, I know what you're sayin'.

Attachments

• IMG_2039.jpg
    IMG_2039.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 50
Old flat heads are cool, but I''d blow one up the first week I had it. I will say they are the smoothest running engine I've ever seen. A buddy bought a 30 coupe, it had a 40's flat head, new mini starter, 5 spd trans with an adapter. The guy paid over a grand to build the headers, it had performance parts on it along with a new brass rad, he made 1 trip in it and pulled it all out and sold everything for $1400. I bet the rad was $700 new.

My under floor master cyl pedal assy is going to have to be reworked. It's to wide. Been trying to get the shop to finish my driveshaft, found a longer one today, so I may shorten it myself. Soon as it slows down in the garage, I'd like to get the brake pedal mounted and the rest of the floor and tunnel in. I'll get measurements and do the firewall when I take the body off.

Old flat heads are cool, but I''d blow one up the first week I had it. I will say they are the smoothest running engine I've ever seen. A buddy bought a 30 coupe, it had a 40's flat head, new mini starter, 5 spd trans with an adapter. The guy paid over a grand to build the headers, it had performance parts on it along with a new brass rad, he made 1 trip in it and pulled it all out and sold everything for $1400. I bet the rad was $700 new.

LOL Yeah not a lot of bang for the buck.:eek:
But dressed up like Macs they are still one of the prettiest engines out there.
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_2039.jpg
    IMG_2039.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 98
Narrowed up the brake pedal assy today. I'd been better off just fabbing one. Drilled some holes in the arm. Cut the cheap looking pedal pad off, going to make one that looks a little better. It needs to have a L shape deal to move it more to the left. I'll get pics when I have something to show. Been working on putting an engine in a all wheel drive Pacifica, this has to be the worst engineered piece of crap I've ever seen.

Latest posts

Back