What the...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
Saw this in the back of a truck when I went to town today! There's a story there somewhere! :eek:

BoB

Attachments

• 08D0BBA8-BFF3-4482-9F42-69A3F6C4F2D4.jpg
    08D0BBA8-BFF3-4482-9F42-69A3F6C4F2D4.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 46
That's a new fad from New York City.......it's called a hairy tire. You can get them in long hair, Farrah Faccett inspired, the Billy Cirus Mullett Cut and of course the shorter style Buzz Cut.

Geeeze that was corny!

Maximize that shot and tell me what has happened to that shock laying next to the tire...??? I can't really tell if that is damaged or not but it looks like it is too. I'm thinking it was driven on for a ways...

attachment.php

Attachments

• 08D0BBA8-BFF3-4482-9F42-69A3F6C4F2D4.jpg
    08D0BBA8-BFF3-4482-9F42-69A3F6C4F2D4.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 31
I don't see damage on the shock from the tire beating it.

Naw, that was a blowout that they ran flat. I have had truck and trailer tires that looked that bad or worse, sometimes all that was left were the sidewalls! It may have slung the tread off when it blew and they kept riding on the steel belts. I've had to do that when you couldn't get off the road, just keep riding until you find a wide spot, sometimes a few miles. Those steel belts will tear some stuff up, seen trailers that looked like they were cleaned with a wire brush until the paint was gone, which I guess they really were!:eek:

I thought I saw some evidence on the sides of that shock that it had been beaten on some...gettin too old to trust my eyes I guess!

A couple summers ago I was driving my 16' box truck about 70 mph when boom!!! I thought I ran over something. I looked in the right side rear view mirror and saw big shards of wood flying up behind me and thought oh ship I hit a pallet, I didn't see a pallet? After pulling over to evaluate I discovered I blew a tire and it went straight up through the oak floor of the cargo box. :eek:

I'm with you Bama, I think the retread blew off and the other tire of the dual wheels held the tire up so the sidewall didn't get too hurt. The rim doesn't seem to be too badly damaged either. Still, quite a few miles were driven, after that, without a care in the world.
In my opinion, you're all right.

We were on the highway following and 18 wheeler when one of his trailer tires blew. I never realized the force of a tire blowing. It was very loud and pieces of tire flew everywhere pelting our car. Jim

Naw, that was a blowout that they ran flat. I have had truck and trailer tires that looked that bad or worse, sometimes all that was left were the sidewalls! It may have slung the tread off when it blew and they kept riding on the steel belts. I've had to do that when you couldn't get off the road, just keep riding until you find a wide spot, sometimes a few miles. Those steel belts will tear some stuff up, seen trailers that looked like they were cleaned with a wire brush until the paint was gone, which I guess they really were!:eek:

Yeah, SF thought the shock was beaten. I was commenting related to that, which would have occurred after the blowout. Who knows, the shock might be unrelated.

Probably around 2001 or so we were loading stuff into my dad's dually. I bent down to pick something up behind the truck, and could see that one of the duals had about a 6" long sidewall blowout. Lucky it didn't cause any damage before we saw it. It was the inside dual so not that noticable.

I’ve heard the force of a tire blowing out is about the same as a stick of dynamite. I’ve heard tires blow from the other side of divided highways so loud I thought it was one of my tires that blew. 110 psi of compressed air has considerable force, enough to bend steel and break wood. We don’t think too much about it until one blows, then marvel at the damage it does.

This thread reminded me of another story. Around 1976 I had a job in a service station that was still working on snap ring type wheels. We were supposed to always use the cage when airing them up after repair. Of coarse there's this one knuckle head that was too lazy to use it. Long story short the snap ring blew off and stuck solid in a rafter about 25 feet above the shop floor where he was filling the tire. He always used the cage after that.

I was working at a milk bottling plant just after high school. The milk truck shop was up a slight hill about 100 yards away. I was on the dock loading a truck after lunch when I heard a boom and the windows on the building rattled. Several of us went running up there, there was a round hole in the side of the metal building. Inside, the 3/4” plywood had the same round hole through it. The tire guy had mounted a tire in the cage, before he left for lunch he had put the tire up in the storage rack in the corner. The ring blew off, through the plywood inner wall, through the tin wall, and landed about 100’ away. If anybody had of been there, it would have cut them in two.

The same year, a guy was fixing a tire at a local service station. The ring blew off while he was airing the tire up, breaking his arm and skinning the side of his head. He was lucky he didn’t get killed.

Those two and three piece rims can be killers!

Latest posts

Back