This cold snap can end anytime

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of temperature swings....like I'd said earlier - we are fortunate enough to live right on the Grand River, and it hasn't frozen over in years. This year it was frozen right over, but with sudden temperature rise last week - from nights of -30C to +11C and heavy rain last Friday - the river rose probably close to 8' and and the ice went out. This piece was shoved up on the bank and it's 10" thick! Froze to that depth in a matter of a few weeks. Amazing.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20180114_095819_resized.jpg
    thumbnail_20180114_095819_resized.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 19
  • thumbnail_20180114_095810_resized.jpg
    thumbnail_20180114_095810_resized.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 23
We should have snow, but it was 45° here Saturday. This is a drone picture at 6000' I took this weekend while trying to find decent snow to ride on. No such luck.
We are only seeing a few feet at the 6500' summit. Not going to be a good water year if this keeps up!:confused:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180114-190244.jpg
    Screenshot_20180114-190244.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 17
We should have snow, but it was 45° here Saturday. This is a drone picture at 6000' I took this weekend while trying to find decent snow to ride on. No such luck.
We are only seeing a few feet at the 6500' summit. Not going to be a good water year if this keeps up!:confused:
A few years of working knee deep in that stuff marking timber sales in the Cascades kind of took all the fun out of playing in the snow. Snowmobiling to the work sight with an attractive associate hangin' on on the back of the machine wasn't all that bad though, as I recall. But I was much younger then. :D

A few years of working knee deep in that stuff marking timber sales in the Cascades kind of took all the fun out of playing in the snow. Snowmobiling to the work sight with an attractive associate hangin' on on the back of the machine wasn't all that bad though, as I recall. But I was much younger then. :D

I could see that. But our valley depends on the snow pack to keep the agricultural going all summer. Like it or not we need it here.

Was zero when I left work at midnight...

It was 13 when I went to work today at 11am.... supposed to get snow tomorrow or Sunday... can't make up it's mind...but temps going up a bit into the low 20's to low 30's thru the week...

Funny thought.... the Job of being a meteorologist pays well and yet 50% of the time they are wrong.... can you imagine keeping your job if you were wrong 50% of the time? I think NOT!! [S

Strange weather

So we are getting into spring break up and the only time we can be on the gravel roads is early in the am when it's froze.
Yesterday i got up at 2 am, it was -1 c and pouring freezing rain and the wind was blowing 70 -80 kmph. Needless to say it was an ugly drive the 8 miles into work. By 3 am the rain had changed to snow and we had an all out blizzard. By 5 am we had 1 1/2 to 2 foot drifts of snow, and delivering propane was not going to happen, so we called it a snow day and went home. By noon it had cleared off and the sun was out and it was +10 c with water running everywhere.[S[S

Dozer, your mess arrived here yesterday afternoon. We got 6" of heavy, wet snow and it made for some "interesting" road conditions. I left the office two hours early, right in the middle of it. It took me 75 minutes to get home, a whole 5 miles away. (I can make it in 8-12 mins. normally.)

Here's the racing surface. Looks like a washboard, feels like cobblestone, slick as butter on a hot skillet!

attachment.php

Attachments

• traffic 54.JPG
    traffic 54.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 36
Dozer, your mess arrived here yesterday afternoon. We got 6" of heavy, wet snow and it made for some "interesting" road conditions. I left the office two hours early, right in the middle of it. It took me 75 minutes to get home, a whole 5 miles away. (I can make it in 8-12 mins. normally.)

Here's the racing surface. Looks like a washboard, feels like cobblestone, slick as butter on a hot skillet!

attachment.php

Sure glad it didn't last long, was +12c here again yesterday. :D

low 80s today, I feel for ya...right!

I'm sure you do [cl :D

Nothing that ominous here, Dr. C. Just can't seem to bust into the 50's (F). Still lots of snow on the ground.

Latest posts

Back