POR15 Metal Ready

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gold03

He lives in an "Altered State"!
OK, here is my problem. When I bought my truck it had been sanded to bare metal. I used POR 15 Metal Ready to keep it from rusting away while it was stored for the first year in a barn.mI have used the same product on the sheet metal since.

I had intended to use POR 15 paint, but my plans have changed:(... If that's possible.

I am concerned about this phosphoric acid based product causing adhesion problems if I use an Epoxy primer.

How do I completely remove/neutralize the Metal Ready when I am ready for primer?

You may have to go over the whole body with your brand new DA. Then neutralize with a baking soda solution. This is what we used to use to neutralize the acid in tinning paste after we finished the lead work.
Or your could try using a good quality self etching primer. That sticks to most everything.
Talk to a good paint supplier and they should have some answers.
Torchie.

Further info.
According to my paint guy metal ready is nothing more than a self etching wash to give the POR 15 a good grip. You should be able to shoot your primer over it with no problems.
Hope this helps.
Torchie.

I hope you are right Torchie. I'm not fond of painting, let alone painting twice.

Thanks for the help.

"When I look at a car in primer I see a blank canvas that can go in any direction" Ed "Big Daddy" Roth.

Painting is my favorite part of the whole project gold. You come and do my metal work and I'll come over and shoot your color[cl
Torchie.[;)

We could definitely have some fun!

Mt shop is always so crowded and dirty I did,t get the results I waned when I painted.

I even thought about using one of those tent garage things as a temporary paint booth. With a furnace filter taped into one side and an exhaust fan on the other, I might get clean air. Would need a big tarp for the floor and a bunch of Tuck Tape to seal it all up.

Further info.
According to my paint guy metal ready is nothing more than a self etching wash to give the POR 15 a good grip. You should be able to shoot your primer over it with no problems.
Hope this helps.
Torchie.

I sold the stuff. He's right. It etches the metal and leaves behind a zinc phosphate coating that seals it off. (for a short time anyway) Sand it and shoot it. I don't recommend it on headers though. Been there, done that, don't. It's great stuff used as marketed.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 19

Latest posts

Back