Fully Manual auto trans.....does it need built up?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmlcolorado

There are tons of aftermarket for auto transmissions, but the question is would a full manual valve bodied trans need all those parts?
I'm building up a cummins 4bt, stock for now, backed by a 47re. This transmission is rated to supper 400fr lbs torque I believe.
I want to go full reverse Manila valve body to eliminate the need for electrics. I'm assuming some parts would need upgraded to support higher torque values, but what parts are those?
The goal for this engine is eventually in the 350hp, 6-700 ft lb ballpark.
What about torque converter?
Currently an electronic lockup converter, which will likely stay electronic via single pole switch, but does this need upgraded as well?

The parts in an automatic transmission you replace to make it stronger would be the hard parts like planetaries, drums, shafts etc... This raises the KFB factor...

Replacing or adding clutches and steelsor adding a shift kit increases hold pressure and helps keep the clutches from slipping but adds no strength to the transmission.
Does no increase it's KFB factor (kerr f'in Boom)

Alot of tranny shops will sell you an upgrade with the line your getting a stronger transmission when they have not upgraded the hard parts.

Replaceing hard parts relates to how much a trans can take before it breaks
clutches and shift kits relate to increasing the ability of the transmission to not wear out and slip.

Diesel torque converters are furnace brazed to prevent the vibration from loosening the fins and shelling the converter.

there is a universal programmable electronic trans controller that now sells for around $500 or less. I can;t remember the name but think summit sells it.

Do they even make a manual valve body for that trans?
the way electronic transmissions work...
many still have the spool valve that works off the manual gear selector but the pressure ports have solenoid pressure regulators that run off the computer.
i suppose those could be manually controlled by switches or mechanically blocked off or blocked open but the trans would have full pressure shifts on all gears with no accumulator action.

no dampening- gonna break parts

Do they even make a manual valve body for that trans?
the way electronic transmissions work...
many still have the spool valve that works off the manual gear selector but the pressure ports have solenoid pressure regulators that run off the computer.
i suppose those could be manually controlled by switches or mechanically blocked off or blocked open but the trans would have full pressure shifts on all gears with no accumulator action.

no dampening- gonna break parts

http://performancemachinemfg.com/i-...verters-manual-shift-valve-body-618-47re.html

I know basically nothing about auto trans.....so this will be a learning experience for me.

What you posted there...that valve body looks very well engineered and the price is good too

Latest posts

Back