1940 Ford Jalopy rebuild

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikec4193

I picked this up from a craigslist ad a couple of months ago, I thought you guys might like it...was going to try and put it back on the road but it is pretty rough old heap...want to put it back to the way it was when it raced...
01212-gx-Fbf1fzj-O4-1200x900.jpg

from the craigslist ad...
DSCN4999.jpg

as it arrived at my place....
DSCN5006.jpg

I started looking at it and accessing exactly what I had and I did not have much....so for the last 2 months, I have been tearing it apart and repairing all the crunchy parts...
DSCN5052.jpg

After the first weekend, it looked like this...so we are now fixing all the rot and rust...have a fellow who after the racing season is going to try and replicate the old hodge-podge roll cage in it...
DSCN5061.jpg

I was going to street drive it but now I am thinking of getting so it runs and drives and the let someone else enjoy it...
I have always wanted one of these...one less thing to do for the bucket list now...

more pics
DSCN5008.jpg

standard issue beer keg
DSCN5009.jpg

standard issue truck rear end
DSCN5011.jpg

standard issue jacking bolts
DSCN5020.jpg

standard issue door chain
DSCN5033.jpg

I think the guy felt bad for me so he through in fenders for it...pretty rough but so it the whole car...
DSCN5053.jpg

down to the bones...sorta...
DSCN5092.jpg

down a little farther here...

I like the gantry you have to pull the body off. Looks like it could lift a Mack Truck.

Funny how cars could pass tech back then with things like chained together parts. Cool car, though.

My kind of project, where you can be messing around and knock something off and it's an improvement....[ddd:D[P

That's the way they were back in the day.
No one had tubing benders and they used what they had
Tech??? When I was 18, I dragged home a 34 Ford that was set up exactly the same way. It "disappeared" along with a couple others while I was off serving my country. :eek:

so we had to decide if we wanted to try and save the old truck rear end (it had no gears in it or any kind of brakes either)...one of the guys where I work says..."I gotta guy who has a barn full of 9" Fords"...I was on him for 6 weeks before we could finally make a date and go get one...found an early Ford Bronco one that would fit the bill...

DSCN5204.jpg

($300.00 later)

I thought it was gonna drop in place...not even close...

DSCN5214.jpg

had extra holes in the axle tube...

DSCN5215.jpg

we figured it out...did the old "build a bead bridge"...

3kbLLjhf

we also had to get rid of the "Hodge Podge" rear suspension too...good ole Pete and Jakes to the rescue...

DSCN5209.jpg

DSCN5091.jpg

much more to come...

So I learn every day how little I really know...had the new to Pete and Jakes shock mounts all setup or so I thought...then I got to scratching my chin again...
DSCN5231.jpg

turn it around and then stuff starting looking correct...

DSCN5232.jpg

then I was waiting for the parts to show up and I had a full tank or Argon gas...so...

DSCN5263.jpg

DSCN5262.jpg

before

DSCN5267.jpg

During

DSCN5271.jpg

and then all mounted back up on the frame rail it has been apart for since 1940...

DSCN5279.jpg

this was the passenger side...drivers side was even worse...

more to come...

MikeC

Latest posts

Back