Trailer

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a place here (Sevierville Tn) about 20 years ago called Squat Down that sold open and enclosed trailers with air bags. They also had a rollback that was Front wheel drive and the bed was basically a trailer and it had air bags on it and would squat down flat to the ground and made it easy to haul scissor lifts and fork lifts.
Tim

We looked at a similar trailer at Turkey Run this year, they are very cool. The bed drops right down to the ground so you can drive right on with no ramps.

My Son's rpu is so low we have to remove the trailer from the tow vehicle, jack the front of the tongue really high so the angle of the ramps is not so severe, and then he can drive his car onto the trailer. It is a real pain so one of these new type trailers would make it much easier.

Now I just have to win the lottery. :(

Don

I did that once for a Camaro that I was loading up onto a U-Haul trailer. I had to unhook the trailer from the hitch and crank the front of the trailer up to load it. When I started to drive the car up on it, the trailer rammed into my Tahoe and put a huge dent in the back door :eek: I felt like such an idiot. The only thing that kept me from being totally upset was that I didn't blow any of the back glass out.
It's true that you gain knowledge through experience ;)

I did that once for a Camaro that I was loading up onto a U-Haul trailer. I had to unhook the trailer from the hitch and crank the front of the trailer up to load it. When I started to drive the car up on it, the trailer rammed into my Tahoe and put a huge dent in the back door :eek: I felt like such an idiot. The only thing that kept me from being totally upset was that I didn't blow any of the back glass out.
It's true that you gain knowledge through experience ;)

I once watched a neighbor trying to load a skid steer loader onto a trailer by first unhooking it from the truck. He obviously thought he knew what he was doing, and it kept me occupied for quite a while watching, but it was unbelievable!

I've seen what happens with trailers that aren't hooked to the truck, it can go VERY wrong. We have wooden "extensions" that we can put under the ramps to reduce the ramp angle and effectively make the ramps longer. It's a much safer solution for loading something low onto a conventional trailer, IMO.

whats funny is I designed a cantilever suspension years ago for my buddy's jet ski trailer that was air ride so when he dumped the air on his pickup the trailer also lowered down. Based on the same principal

It's nice and I like it... but the welding is freakin' awful. :eek:

I agree. That would be a nice addition to my trailer fleet but one that could only be used on flat pavement with drivable cars.

I also got tired of that high angle with ramps on my big trailer so I built one for cars. It has torsion axles that basically set like drop axles. It is 18 feet and has a 2 1/2 foot beaver tail. Then I carry 4 1/2 foot aluminum ramps. I can load a pretty low car and never scrape. That still doesn't solve the problem of loading "field" cars that often have no spindles or rear end. So as soon as the weather warms up I am building an all steel trailer similar to that aluminum one. Only it will be 22 foot long, have heavier axles and a good winch.

I have used one of those tilt beds a few times.
I don't like them.
It has to be smooth ground and it just wasn't near as sweet as I thought it would be.
It was kind of a pain actually.
When I buy a trailer I want nice stout ramps with plenty of bombproof tie down points.and a winch in front.

I have used one of those tilt beds a few times.
I don't like them.
It has to be smooth ground and it just wasn't near as sweet as I thought it would be.
a regular car would scrape the bumpers etc. just loading
It was kind of a pain actually.
When I buy a trailer I want nice stout ramps with plenty of bombproof tie down points.and a winch in front.

Latest posts

Back