I went out walking...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gold03

He lives in an "Altered State"!
I saw this guy last year. Is actually a loner.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 115
That's a big paw.

A neat thing though: My parents have a dog that's husky-wolf (1/4 Husky the rest Wolf), and with his big paws when he's walking across snow or soft ground he flares them out, to help spread out the weight. It makes his paw prints look MUCH bigger.

That's a big paw.

A neat thing though: My parents have a dog that's husky-wolf (1/4 Husky the rest Wolf), and with his big paws when he's walking across snow or soft ground he flares them out, to help spread out the weight. It makes his paw prints look MUCH bigger.

Yeah, but I saw this guy. He isn't huge, but he is substantial.

I do own guns legally. We can do that here. Not sure where that idea comes from. [S

Not sure why I would shoot him, I like canines more than people.

"safety"??? - I've Bowhunted & walked with in areas with Black Bear & Wolves in No. America, and Baboons & Leopard in South Africa.

Safety, in the wild come from being educated & respectful. You are much more likely to die from Hypothermia or just plan Tripping & Fall injury that by Dangerous game.

Firearms give folks without woodsman's skills a false sense of security. When facing dangerous game, reloading is seldom an option. If you don't hit the CNS with round #1, you are most likely going to get hurt. Understanding the animals, keeping a respectful distance will keep you safer than you ability to hit paper targets at the indoor range with your Glock. ;)

Sheesh:(

I didn't want to start a debate on gun control, animal advocacy, or hunting. I was happy to see the visitor to my acreage. We have black bears, elk, deer, coyotes, and the usual varmints. They are welcome. Will set up a salt lick and a trail camera some day on the back of our property where this track was.

I spend extensive time in the bush. Not as much as previously, but still more than anyone I know. Have spent quite a bit of time sleeping in the moss. Don't hunt anymore because I don't need to. Never felt unsafe in the bush, except from other people. Carry bear spray rather than a fire arm. It works real well, and it's lighter.

The only animal that needs more range than the bear spray can give me is another guy with a gun. It's risk management, and I'm not averse to it. I would rather be eaten by wolves and bears than die an old man in a ****y bed.

I was not trying to start a debate on gun control or anything like that either.

I did not grow up in down town Detroit, Chicago, etc. etc. I don't go to the range with my Glock. Don't even own a Glock to be honest, several other brands but still.... Truth be known I grew up outside a town of less than 500 people graduating high school class of 42 people, so small area. You learned what to be scared of and where to be scared of pretty quick. I was taught to shoot around the age of 6-8. Passed my hunters safety course and had my first hunting license when I was 9. I do understand the dangers of walking in the woods vs walking down main street.

There was one instance that I faced dangerous game. No shots fired though, no blood drawn, but that doesn't mean there wasn't nothing running down my leg either. I know what you are saying no time for reloading and that every shot counts. I just know that if that was wandering around my property I would feel a little better if it was not, for the sake of my family and my pets.

WHEN I LIVED IN ALASKA.
i kinda liked the idea of living in a place that was so untamed.
there were animals that COULD and WOULD kill and /or eat me.
it keeps ya humble

WHEN I LIVED IN ALASKA.
i kinda liked the idea of living in a place that was so untamed.
there were animals that COULD and WOULD kill and /or eat me.
it keeps ya humble

That is does Billy. One of the best memories I have is of a wolf encounter. I had been riding the tree line in the Talkeetnas for several days seeing sign. One day I came over a little hill and there he was, a huge black wolf with a white cross on his chest. I got within 40-50 feet and he trotted down the trail. I follwed him for a couple miles and he never broke into a run. Once he went over a rise and out of sight and when I came over, he was standing there waiting and trotted on down the trail.
At no point did I think he needed to be dead.

Neverdone - No offense was intended in my prior post. It is difficult to accurately reply to one word responses (safety) when one doesn't really know the author well. ;) Please accept my apologies. :eek:

A quote I like to offer:

“Fear is not real, it is a product of thoughts you create. Now do not misunderstand me; danger is very real, but fear is a choice”.

I believe fear is due to lack of knowledge. When we understand the true extent of a potentially dangerous situation or event, fear is a non issue. We understand and respect the potential danger and act appropriately.

Consider the very real danger of a drive on a highway. We are often a few feet away from other drivers moving in a ton+ of metal moving at 70mph. One miscalculation by any of the human herd is almost certain death. Yet, millions of us participate daily without fear.

I knew of 2 people getting killed by wolves. Both were wolf hybreds in captivity and both were due to stupid humans. One woman took her baby into the pen and a wolf jumped up and just put it's mouth on the baby, not really a bite but his fang punctured the babys soft spot. The other one had been poorly cared for and hadn't been off the picket line for over a year. It got loose and came across the street to my neighbors where they were having a birthday party for a little girl. The animal grabbed a shrieking kid by the back of the neck and killed her, then grabbed another kid and was dragging him into the woods when my neighbors teenage son kicked it off the kid. Alaska no longer allows the keeping and breeding of wolves or wolf hybreds but the people still have them and call them a Husky cross.
The woman who went into the pen was going to get prosecuted but before her trial another one of her little tykes wandered off into the woods and they never found him. I think he was about 4. They decided she had suffered enough I guess.

Latest posts

Back